BACKGROUND INFORMATION – JOB-SPECIFIC
UNOPS is looking to support a project that entails provision of targeted Cash-for-Work (CfW) opportunities in order to increase access to short-term employment in areas affected by the crisis in Iraq across five governorates, including Anbar, Diyala, Kirkuk, Baghdad, and Babel, and to enhance economic activities and livelihood in those areas. This will also contribute to stabilization, recovery for communities in the targeted areas, and rebuilding social cohesion.
The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
UNOPS is committed to achieving a fully diverse workforce.
Under the overall guidance of the Director Amman Operational Hub, and under the direct supervision of the Head of Programme, and in close coordination with the Programme Advisor in Iraq; the Project Manager (PM) will be responsible for all aspects of the project life-cycle in accordance with the approved Project Document, the legal agreement between UNOPS and the donor, and in compliance with Organizational Directives and Administrative Instructions on Project Management. The PM must be able to undertake independently, the following tasks:
- Technical tasks:
- Ensure timely planning and implementation of the CfW-project activities, ensuring that goals and objectives are accomplished within the prescribed project time frame and the available funding parameters/budget;
- Study and/ or prepare the scope of works, budgets, terms of reference, contracts and all technical requirements for the project activities,
- Analyse all project documents, and ensure compliance with specifications utilizing research, development, relevant codes and standards,
- Site supervision and coordination with UNOPS project staff and contractors on all related implementation issues,
- Review and certify the submitted payment certificates,
- Approve submittals and advice on suitable alterations,
- Follow up and report on the project objectives and plans including any delineation of scope, budgeting, scheduling, and setting performance requirements,
- Advice the contractors on ways to maximize the efficient resource utilization through procurement of labor, materials and equipment according to the set schedules and plans.
- Manage proper archiving of all project documents including those related to engineering, procurement and project management,
- Lead the scheduling of tasks related to project works at different phases,
- Maintain records, compile and check daily progress reports on project activities, procurement and others according to the agreed timeframe of works for submission to the Head of Programme on a weekly basis and other periodic reports required by the UNOPS standard procedures,
- Develop project’s closure procedures in all phases. Perform complete contracts closure and gain formal acceptance, and submit final performance reporting.
Monitoring Progress and Risk Controls
- Organize, participate in and document the weekly Site progress meetings,
- Organize and lead team meetings on a periodic basis,
- Maintaining, accurate, quality and completion documentation as identified in responsibilities above,
- Set up quality management plan, perform quality assurance and perform quality control during all phases of the project,
- Monitor and update the project risk register, and escalate any issues and concerns to the management in a timely manner,
- Ensure the proper maintenance of equipment, compliance with all codes and adherence to occupational health and safety regulations as per UNOPS requirements,
- Identify and control any environmental risks that can affect the site or the neighboring domestic areas around the sites.
- Establish solid working relationship with the project key stakeholders, including the beneficiaries and other project partners such as but not limited to the MOLSA and IOM,
- Manage communication and information flows between and across all stakeholders in a timely manner,
- Advise the client on issues that may impact the achievement of their outcomes (including issues of sustainability and post project requirements such as maintenance)
- Manage the information flows between the Project Board/OC Director and the project.
- Advise the project board on issues that may impact the achievement of project deliverables,
- Coordinate and communicate with UNOPS site engineers, retainers and other personnel based on clear organization chart and communication plan,
- Identify and manage issues and risks so that maximum benefit to the stakeholders is achieved,
- Ensure timely preparation of the progress reports as required by the donor,
- Ensure donor visibility as stipulated in in the approved project document/ legal agreement
Delivery and Performance:
- Develop and maintain project plans
- Implement approved project plans (including the establishment of milestones) within tolerances set by the project board
- Embed sustainability dimensions including social and gender inclusion, environmental and economic aspects into project life cycle.
- Manage the production of the required products, taking responsibility for overall progress and use of resources and initiating corrective action where necessary
- Manage and oversee the production of all deliverable taking responsibility for overall progress and use of resources and initiating corrective actions as needed,
- Liaise with external suppliers, as well as with all internal units of UNOPS Amman Hub for timely planning and execution of project activities,
- Authorize Work Packages,
- Advise the Project Board and the Head of Programme of any deviations from the plan,
- Implement approved project plans (including the establishment of milestones) within tolerances set by the project board,
- Manage and review product quality and ensure products are accepted,
- Monitor and evaluate performance of service providers,
- Identify and report any potential partnership development opportunities for UNOPS to supervisor,
- Identify and report threats to the project and any UNOPS internal business case to supervisor.
Project Management Procedures:
- Follow the Project Management Cycle Instructions and ensure that all organizational policy is complied with (Organizational Directives , Administrative Instructions and Project Management Manual ),
- Prepare the following reports (including but not limited to):
– Highlight Reports, – End Stage Reports, – Operational Closure Checklist, – End Project Report, – Close out Report. Being fully informative with Project Management Practices
- Maintain the following: i. Electronic Blue File; ii. Procurement, HR and Finance files as required,
- Ensure that all expenditure comply with UNOPS Financial Rules and Regulations,
- Manage budgets, cash flow and obligations to ensure that deliverables are met and payments to contractors and personnel are received on time,
- Understand and manage UNOPS overheads, allocable charges, and related corporate charges as they apply to the project,
- Understand the unique structures of the UNOPS and budget appropriately for personnel,
- Manage and remain accountable for expenditures against the budget (based on accurate financial reports), and ensure project delivery in accordance with the forecast based on work planning.
- Participate in the relevant Communities of Practice
- Actively interact with other PMs and the PM community to share case studies, lessons learned and best practice on the Knowledge System.
- Provide feedback to Practice Leads on policy, supporting guidance with an aim towards continuous improvement of UNOPS policies
- Complete lessons learned as per reporting format
- Incorporate lessons learned from others as per planning format
- Lead and motivate the project management team
- Ensure that behavioral expectations of team members are established
- Ensure that performance reviews are conducted
- Identify outstanding staff and bring them to the attention of the Hub Management
- Select, recruit and train team as required by project plans
- Ensure safety and security for all personnel and comply with UNDSS standards
- Perform the Team Manager role, unless appointed to another person(s)
- Perform project support role, unless appointed to another person or corporate/programme function
Core Values and Principles:
- Understand and respect UNOPS sustainability principles
I. Look for ways to embed UNOPS sustainability principles in day to day project management
II. Seek opportunities to champion gender equality at work place
III. Champion and communicate project’s sustainability aspects with key stakeholders
- Understand and Respect National ownership and capacity
i. Understand the principles of the Paris Declaration on aid effectiveness and mainstream them into the project plans
ii. Seek opportunities to recruit qualified local staff
iii. Look for ways to build capacity of local counterparts
- Partnerships and Coordination
i. Understand the UN Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF) and UNOPS, the project’s place in the UN system
ii. Strive to build strong partnerships and effective coordination among relevant project actors (e.g. United Nations, governments, and non-governmental organizations or other relevant partners
- Accountability for results and the use of resources
i. The project management processes are designed to deliver maximum accountability, transparency and results. If a project or processes is not in line with this, it is the responsibility of the PM to raise the issue to a supervisor
i. Contribute to innovation and the adaptation of best practice standards of sustainability and quality.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
Application closing date: 17 July 2019