Associate Social Development Officer (Gender and Development)
- Supports the adoption, implementation and monitoring of ADB’s gender and development policy and associated guidelines and tip sheets into assigned projects by ensuring comprehensive analysis and evaluation of gender aspects of social safeguards into project documents at all stages of the project cycle.
- At concept review stage, assists the line divisions by assessing the gender gaps and opportunities at project identification, providing the gender inputs for preparing an initial poverty and social analysis, and preparing gender-related terms of reference of consultants for the assigned project.
- During due diligence, conducts a preliminary review of any gender assessments/ analyses, gender action plans and, if relevant, environmental and social impact assessment reports, social development plans, labor management plans, retrenchment plans, environmental and social management systems, and gender aspects of social safeguards plans and frameworks.
- Provides support to private sector clients on incorporating gender development dimensions of social safeguards in the design and implementation of agribusiness, healthcare infrastructure sector projects in particular.
- Works collaboratively with the Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department Gender Equity Group (SDTC-GEN) on the confirmation of gender categorization for assigned projects.
- Works with other members of the PSTS gender team, SDTC-GEN, deal teams and borrowers/clients in designing gender mainstreaming measures that directly narrows gender gaps, and incorporate gender equality actions in the design and implementation of assigned projects in support of ADB’s gender equality targets as part of Strategy 2030.
- During project administration, undertakes monitoring of projects’ gender action plans and gender activities in social safeguards plans, participates in (virtual or in-person) review missions by compiling relevant project data, visiting the project site, documenting meetings with the borrower/client, consultants and affected persons, providing inputs in the preparation of back to office reports, conducting a desk review of progress reports, monitoring reports, recommending actions, and measuring and evaluating implementation of gender measures of assigned projects and preparing the write-up in relevant gender sections of extended annual review reports.
- Strategic and Planning Work
- Supports the review and update of policies, guidelines, tip sheets and other documents related to gender and development.
- Supports the development of work plans and work planning for the gender team.
- Knowledge Management
- Supports the development of knowledge products and services, including the formulation of policies, guidelines and preparation of handbooks, best practice manuals, etc., by reviewing project design and implementation experiences, liaising with project practitioners and gender experts, and monitoring the applicability of current methods.
- Updates the PSTS gender team’s database of projects on gender measure implementation status, contributes to the project information document for and liaises with line division staff in uploading gender action plans and other documentation of assigned projects in ADB’s website, and contribute to the development PSTS gender team’s database systems and non-sovereign (NSO) IT systems.
- Assists in the preparation of training modules and programs on gender and development in social safeguards, social protection, gender-sensitive consultation and participation, and preparation of other knowledge products as necessary.
- Internal and External Networking
- Participates in the activities of various communities of practice and networks
- Keeps abreast of gender-related issues, policies, guidelines and processes of other multilateral, bilateral financing and other institutions.
- Administrative Support
- Supports the preparation of briefing papers, Division reports to Management, special reports and studies and contributes to the preparation of PSTS budget, activity plans and work programs.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in gender, social sciences, development studies; preferably with advanced training
- At least 6 years relevant experience in the field of social development, gender and development or gender/diversity and social safeguards
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of approaches and methodologies in addressing gender issues in private sector contexts, including demonstrated ability to address gender constraints and leverage identified opportunities that can be undertaken in private sector projects
- Proven project/field-based experience on gender analysis, social safeguards and impact measurement
- Proficiency with undertaking gender analysis and knowledge of ADB’s policies on gender and development
- Knowledge of statistics and social research methods as applied to gender analysis and ex-post assessment of gendered impacts of projects
- Familiarity in use of information technology, particularly in the management of database and information management systems
- Effective report writing and communication skills in English
- Strong planning and organizing skills to handle many tasks with deadlines
- Ability to develop rapport internally and externally in a multicultural environment
- Able to work collaboratively with teams as a constructive team member