Intern – Regional Cooperation and Integration Division – Manila, Philippines
Review of literature on the trends, lessons, and experience of the role of FinTech for payment systems. Description of recent developments in Asia’s payment systems, with emphasis on the role of digital payment systems. Preparation of a set of indicators to measure (i) development, (ii) efficiency, (iii) inclusion, and (ii) integration of Asia’s payment systems, incl. a distinction of conventional and e-payment systems. Design and estimation of a suitable statistical model or technique to determine the factors affecting development, efficiency, inclusion, and integration of Asia’s payment systems. A draft working paper that discusses the impacts of FinTech on payment systems in Asia, related opportunities and challenges, as well as policy considerations. Presentation of the paper in an ERCD seminar.
- Currently enrolled in a Masters or PhD program in economics or finance with emphasis on finance and technology.
Relevant experience and other requirements
- Strong quantitative, analytical, and conceptual skills in economics and finance;
- Experience in handling and analyzing large data sets on financial economics;
- Sound knowledge of global FinTech developments and landscape;
- Basic, or ideally sound, knowledge of the functioning of payment systems;
- Demonstrated expertise in economic research;
- Extensive knowledge of econometric and statistical approaches and high proficiency in statistical and mathematical programming software such as STATA, MATLAB, and EVIEWS;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.