Support the HR team in the organisation, administration and management of the Relief Orientation Course (ROC). Screen ROC applications, support and administer Medair flats, coordinate / organise the HQ briefings or other HR related events, while assisting the HR team in delivering its mission of support to the country programmes and HQ departments.
Medair Headquarters (HQ) provides operational guidance for country programmes and activities, along with both technical and compassionate support for our relief workers. Within our headquarters, we are also responsible for promoting the work of Medair to the world, to raise and manage the funds needed to run our life-saving and sustaining programmes. Our headquarters teams are also responsible for recruiting international and HQ staff, and like our field teams, we are committed to serve the world’s most vulnerable with practical and compassionate care.
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired and motivated by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure. Internationally recruited field and headquarters staff lead the organisation, supported by nationally recruited staff to implement programmes locally.
Medair HQ, Ecublens, near Lausanne, Switzerland
As soon as possible
Initial Contract Details
Full time, open-ended contract
Key Activity Areas
- Responsible for the ROC coordination, organisation and overview, in rotation with another Assistant (AA).
- Provide administrative support to recruitment of ROC applicants, process ROC applications, according to the Medair screening criteria and administrative process by being the first applicants contact.
- Manage an efficient recruitment process for ROC applicants, in collaboration with the programme HR Officers (HROs), ensuring a good communication tracking system of the applications in the HR information system (paper folders and Data base, statistics file).
- Attend the ROC courses as the Support Referent person.
- Coordinate with the Programmes HROs for the organisation and preparations of the ROC.
HQ Briefing or other HR Events & Medair Flats
- Coordinate with the Programmes HROs for the organisation and preparations of the HQ Briefings and Medair flat attendance.
- Plan, organise and administer these events and facilities to support the HR departmental recruitment, on boarding, induction and training work.
- Process statistics and financial information related to ROC, HQ briefings, Medair flats or other events organised by HR Team.
- Provide general administration for the HR department as requested, keeping the deadlines and for the accuracy of the delivery. Exceptionally it could include supporting the programmes and HQ departments HR Officers (HROs) with general administrative tasks such as supporting the on-board administration, contracts issue, payroll, visas, work permits, preparation for the field and HQ, might include communication with future employees, travel plans, staff plans, employee administration.
- Support the recruitment activities by providing administrative support to the programmes and HQ departments HROs and first screening contacts.
HR System Development
- Support the development of the HR systems and implement the changes in the domain the AA is in charge of.
- Contribute and support the enhancement of the HR department process improvement plan, policies and procedures by completing the assigned tasks and projects.
- Provide and maintain effective, accurate and up to date HR information systems.
International Headquarters – Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the vision and values of Medair with team members, international team members, and external contacts.
- Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Work and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings.
- Instigate and contribute to prayer times within internationally recruited staff and HQ teams.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international programmes and HQ prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks and conveys the spirit of the sort of tasks that are anticipated proactively from staff. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organisational needs.
- Minimum of A level or equivalent
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written)
- Working knowledge of French (spoken and written); Fluency in French desirable
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years’ experience in administration / secretarial work
- Good administrative and planning, organizing skills
- Concerned with details and accuracy
- Pragmatic and organised
- Intercultural sensitivity
- Strong adaptability to changes, flexible
- Good resistance to stress
Profiles sought for International Headquarters staff
- Experienced Relief Workers and those without field experience
- Experienced professionals in a relevant Medair sector of expertise
- Overseas intercultural work experience desirable
- Fully committed to the Medair values; to reflect the vision and values of Medair with team members, international team members, and external contacts
- Strong working knowledge of English, spoken and written
- Working knowledge of French (spoken and written) for French-speaking roles
- Working knowledge of German (spoken and written) for German-speaking role
- Able to work in a multicultural team
- Strong character traits, including emotional stability, adaptability, ability to handle stress, cultural and gender sensitivity, and honesty
What benefits does Medair provide for International Headquarters Staff?
- Salary commensurate with the pay-grade of the position
- Annual leave; Accident insurance and pension
- Death and disability insurance; Health insurance for loss of earnings
- A motivating work environment
- The opportunity to work in a Christian organisation where your contributions make a difference for the world’s most vulnerable