- Position title: Protocol Clerk
- Grade: GS6
- Position N°: 50070300
- Reference: ADB/19/112
- Publication date: 28/05/2019
- Closing date: 27/06/2019
- Country: Côte d’Ivoire
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution. Its mission is to promote economic growth and social progress across the continent. The Bank has 80 member countries, including 54 African countries (regional member countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten-Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been defined to strengthen the Ten-Year Strategy, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa. The Bank is seeking to build a management team that will lead the successful implementation of this vision for Africa.
The President plans, supervises and manages the business of the Bank Group. Under the direction of the Boards of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and the African Development Fund and manages operations and activities in accordance with the Agreements establishing the African Development Bank and the African Development Fund. The President supervises several Departments and Divisions including Office of the President; Independent Development Evaluation Department; Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department; Compliance Review and Mediation Department; Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board; Administrative Tribunal; Office of the Auditor General; Group Risk Management Function Directorate; General Counsel and Legal Services Department; Communication and External Relations Department; Ethics Office and Office of the Secretary General & General Secretariat.
The role of the Bank’s Office of the Secretary General and General Secretariat (PSEG) is to facilitate the achievement of the objectives set out in the Bank’s Ten-Year Strategy, the High 5s and the Development and Business Delivery Model, by streamlining the decision-making process of governance bodies and forging better working relationships with shareholders and host countries of the Bank. Office of the Secretary General and the General Secretariat: (i) the Office of the Secretary General, which is also responsible for managing the Records Management and Archives Section, the Corporate Governance Policy and Shareholder Relations Section and the Conferences and Meetings Section; (ii) Board Affairs and Proceedings Division; and (iii) the Protocol, Privileges and Immunities Division.
The mission of the Protocol Assistant is as follows:
- Receive, process and carefully verify documents to maintain and strengthen the trust of African Development Bank partners
- Ensure the careful preparation of draft notes verbales addressed to the host country and diplomatic missions with particular attention to preserving the Bank’s good image.
- Prepare administrative correspondence addressed to host country authorities taking into account local specificities.
- Manage day-to-day affairs with host countries and diplomatic missions, in accordance with protocol standards and relevant instruments
- Ensure the faithful implementation of Partnership/Host Country Agreements
Under the supervision and direction of the Principal Protocol Officer, the Protocol Assistant performs the following:
- Receive and process visa applications from staff members of the African Development Bank and their family members.
- Prepare notes verbales for visa applications
- Send visas requests to diplomatic missions for missions, holidays, children’s study trips, medical evacuation and transit stays.
- File visa documents
- Liaise between PSEG, various ministries and other host country authorities as well as between PSEG and the various Diplomatic Missions
- Welcome and assist Elected staff, official delegations and guests of the African Development Bank at the Airport.
- Keep monthly statistics on visa activities.
- Process and follow up on entry visa applications with relevant services
- Ensure that protocol is respected at ceremonies and events organized by the Bank.
- Ensure protocol is respected at African Development Bank Group Annual Meetings and other statutory meetings.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- Hold at least a higher education (Bachelor’s or Master’s degree) diploma in diplomacy, law and administration.
- Possess at least four (4) years of professional experience in the area of Protocol, Public Relations or Public Administration.
- The incumbent should also have work experience in a multicultural environment.
- General knowledge of Protocol and similar experience in an intergovernmental organization
- Private-sector experience would be an added advantage.
- Possess sound knowledge of diplomatic norms and practices.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both written and spoken English or French with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Proficiency in the use of common Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint); knowledge of SAP (or another integrated document management system or quantitative and qualitative data analysis tools) would be an added advantage.
THIS POSITION DOES NOT ATTRACT INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS (THE POST HOLDER WILL BE CONSIDERED AS A LOCAL STAFF AND WILL NOT HAVE INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT).
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. www.afdb.org
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.