The Middle East Regional Office was created in January 2014 as part of NRC’s reorganization process. We currently have more than 2,000 staff in the Middle East assisting people displaced by conflict in Syria, Iraq, Lebanon, Turkey, Jordan and Palestine, working in the shelter, education, food security, legal assistance and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors with strong protection and resilience focus integrated into our programs. As an integral part of the overall mandate of NRC we rely heavily on strong and supportive managers to ensure our programmes run smoothly, on time and on budget. Our Area Manager’s take the responsibility of keeping our Area Offices moving forward, for motivating staff, ensuring programme compliance, engaging with local community leaders and for reporting to Country Directors.
Our Ideal Candidate:
We are looking for someone with strong diplomatic skills and ability to work with local and international counterparts. A university graduate, with solid management and program development experience and at least 5 years of NGO experience in a humanitarian/ recovery context. We are particularly looking for a positive individual with strong management and communication skills, who can confidently navigate both internally and externally at different levels. Strong English skills and a solid knowledge of the Middle East Context are essential.
In this position you will join highly motivated and expert staff who are making a difference to the most vulnerable people in the world’s biggest displacement crisis. Experience following procedures and making sure they are implemented and documented is essential. Fluency in Arabic is a plus.
Many of these positions are ideally suited for someone who has successfully navigated the intricacies and unique circumstances associated with implementing programs in conflict-affected countries. In this position you can join highly motivated and expert staff who are making a difference to the region’s most vulnerable people. In addition to strong technical abilities, we are looking for individuals with a positive attitude and strong communication skills, who can foster trust and collaboration within NRC and with our partners and donors.
Job Tasks and Responsibilities include:
The main purpose of the Area Manager position is to ensure high quality and cost effective programme/project implementation within the designated geographical area.
- Member of the Country Management Group (CMG)
- Provide area specific input on CC strategies, Country Strategy and Annual Plans of Action
- Assess needs, develop and lead the implementation of emergency response plans in the geographical area of operations
- Implementation of projects (including master support budget and coordinating input for donor proposals and reports) in the area, in compliance with contractual commitments (i.e. quality, synergies, timeliness, use of resources)
- Ensure optimal use of resources within the allocated project budgets and CC strategies
- Represent NRC and networking at area level
- Ensure overall security and safety of staff in the area
- Ensure NRC’s activities in the geographical area are implemented in line with NRC’s protection plans.
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees
- Liaise regularly with authorities, donors and humanitarian actors in the area of operations
- Strong representation of NRC at coordination initiatives at area level including but not limited to NGO Fora and UN
- Provide regular input to advocacy initiatives
- Line management for senior project staff and support functions (and Field Office Coordinators) in the area.
- Overall responsibility for the recruitment of qualified staff
- Ensure that training is provided to all staff in the area in line with staff specific capacity building plans
- Ensure NRC’s data collection systems are in place and information is properly stored and analysed
- Ensure NRC has a strong voice in the area of operation based on solid risk analysis
Contract Period: Short term/12 month and 24 month assignments Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale Please take note:
NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and to check that they have not been involved in illegal activities. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
These posts are often located in non-family duty stations.
Please quote reference: ‘Area Manager’ and attach a current CV to firstname.lastname@example.org