Speak to UNRWA about this role at Global Careers for Women 2018
Application closing date: 26 March 2018
UNRWA, the largest United Nations operation in the Middle East with over 30,000 staff working across five areas of operation, is looking for highly committed professionals wishing to make a change.
Palestine refugees in Lebanon
Some 450,000 Palestine refugees are registered with UNRWA in Lebanon with around 53 per cent living in the 12 recognized refugee camps, all of which suffer from serious problems, including poverty, overcrowding, unemployment, poor housing conditions and lack of infrastructure. Because they are not formally citizens of another state, Palestine refugees are unable to claim the same rights as other foreigners living and working in Lebanon. Among the UNRWA fields, Lebanon has the highest percentage of Palestine refugees living in extreme poverty. UNRWA’s services encompass education, health care, relief and social services, camp infrastructure and improvement, microfinance and emergency assistance.
Do you want to make a lasting difference?
If you are passionate about making a lasting difference for Palestine refugees in Lebanon, this role will give you the opportunity to contribute to Agency fund-raising activities, manage donor relations and project administration including preparing proposals, liaising with relevant UNRWA programmes and departments, initiating projects and assisting in the definition of programmatic orientation, monitoring and evaluating activities and preparing project reports.
The main responsibilities include:
- Under the supervision of Head, of Donor Relations and Projects Support Office, Lebanon (P-3), participating as necessary in meetings with representatives of donor countries and organizations;
- Preparing briefing documents for the Field Director, senior management and Donor meetings as requested;
- Providing a consistently high level of customer service to local donor representatives and their officials in capitals, liaising with relevant colleagues in Headquarters;
- Assisting in developing and implementing the Agency and Field resource mobilization strategies.
- Preparing project proposals and reports; as required, working on assigned project/s independently and coordinating with relevant staff in projects team;
- Formulating high-quality and responsive project proposals, concept papers, and project reports in coordination with respective field departments;
- Ensuring that Project Cycle Management (PCM) principles are incorporated into the formulation and implementation of all projects.
- Monitoring the implementation of projects in coordination with field departments and verifying adherence to donor requirements.
- Assisting in building the capacity of field department staff to developing proposals and preparing reports; assisting with the writing, editing, formatting, and proof reading of proposals and report documents.
The incumbent will be required to travel in UNRWA area of operations in the Middle East.
To qualify for this position, you will need:
A university degree from an accredited educational institution in International Relations, Political Science, Development or Humanitarian Studies, Public Administration, Social Sciences or other related field;
At least four years of experience in international cooperation project management in the context of donor governments or international non–governmental organizations, including two years of experience at international level outside your home country;
Excellent command of written and spoken English.
- Experience in external relations, fund-raising and/or project management;
- Experience in the management of international cooperation projects funded by the European Union;
- UN experience;
- Knowledge of the Middle East context and Palestinian issues preferable;
- Knowledge of another United Nations language.