Purpose of the job: Head of BIS Innovation Hub
- Develop and implement a strategy that advances the mission of the BIS Innovation Hub, ie, to foster international collaboration on innovative financial technology within the central banking community, in order to improve the functioning and efficiency of the international financial system.
- Manage the selection and execution of projects across multiple locations (Hub Centres) with the aim of increasing knowledge in areas of critical interest to central banks and with a view towards the production of potential global public goods.
- Build a network of central bank experts on innovation, and promote exchange of views and knowledge-sharing.
- As a senior official of the BIS and as a member of the Bank’s Executive Committee (ExCo), contribute to the strategic planning and general management of the BIS.
- Shape the strategic direction of the Hub and oversee its effective implementation working closely with the General Manager and other members of BIS senior management.
- Lead efforts to scout new technologies and identify relevant projects that contribute to the mission of the Hub. Define the agenda for the Hub’s centres with the guidance of Board-level committees and the General Manager.
- Establish the Hub as a focal point for information exchange and knowledge sharing among central bank experts on innovation.
- Develop terms of reference for the operation of multiple Hub Centre locations, including the allocation of priorities to leverage the respective skill sets of each Centre and achieve synergies. Implement a rigorous performance-metrics management framework to evaluate progress against outcomes and facilitate strategic reprioritisation as necessary.
- Liaise with BIS committees, standard setting bodies, and the Financial Stability Board to ensure the complementarity of the work of the Hub with other efforts.
- Collaborate closely with host central banks and the Chief Representatives of BIS regional offices, to manage effectively the Hub’s operations across multiple Centres ensuring that they are adequately resourced, in support of projects and strategic activities being undertaken.
Member of ExCo and other Bank-wide committees
- As a member of ExCo, advise the General Manager on strategic decision-making, business planning and other key issues affecting the running of the Bank.
- Participate in other senior level Bank-wide committees as part of the general management of the BIS.
External relationships and representation
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with counterparts in the private sector, Fintech community, and central banks/ international organisations.
- Establish and develop contacts with the BIS committees, standard setting bodies, and international organisations.
- Represent the BIS, or ensure that it is adequately represented, at relevant Fintech events.
- Provide leadership and direction to the Centre Heads promoting functional excellence and continuous improvement. Develop and strengthen internal talent.
Qualification and experience:
- Advanced degree from a university of international standing
- At least 10 years’ of experience in a visible, senior position with the fintech, central banking, economic research or the financial industry
- In-depth knowledge of financial technologies with an outstanding reputation and strong links to the fintech community.
- Experienced and inspiring leader, with a public policy perspective, who is also known for undertaking, coordinating and guiding multidisciplinary research work.
- Ability to lead large scale programmes in complex environments across multiple locations.
- Extensive track record of interacting with senior leaders across a range of organisations. Previous experience interacting with central bank senior officials would be an advantage.
- Ability to influence senior stakeholders and drive forward innovative thinking.
- Results oriented with drive and determination to deliver.
- Ability to create a fast paced, dynamic work environment in which colleagues from diverse backgrounds work flexibly, effectively and constructively.
- Ability to present complex issues convincingly to a senior audience.
The BIS is fully committed to equal opportunity employment and strives for diversity among its staff.
Application closing date: 8 September 2019