Purpose of the job:
We are looking for Senior Portfolio Managers within the BIS Asset Management team.
Portfolio Managers are responsible for managing fixed income portfolios entrusted to BIS AM – namely the BIS’ Own Capital, the BIS Pension Fund and mandates on behalf of Third-Party clients. The unit maintains and develops the active investment decision-making process and runs the portfolio management operations.
The position holder conducts analysis of economic and financial topics relevant for the investment process. He/she actively participates in the investment strategy meetings, constructs portfolios and implements trades. She/he reports to internal and external customers on the investment strategy and the performance of the portfolios and supports the overall objectives of BIS AM.
Investment decision-making process
- Contributes to the development of the investment decision-making process with the aim of supporting an active portfolio management style that targets outperformance of benchmarks.
- Maintains and develops qualitative and quantitative tools for the support of the investment process.
- Actively participates in investment strategy meetings. Leads the discussion on specific risk factors/currencies, suggests active positions and generally contributes to the discussion on active positioning.
- Regularly reports, in writing and orally, to internal and external clients and committees on the unit’s positioning and performance.
Portfolio management operations
- Implements the agreed investment strategy in all portfolios he is responsible for, comprising portfolio construction, trade execution and input of trades into trade capture systems.
- Continually monitors and assesses the performance of his portfolios.
- Monitors portfolio guidelines and ensures compliance of the portfolio with those guidelines at trade execution and on an ongoing basis.
- Adheres to internal policies and procedures, such as BIS AM’s best execution policy.
- Maintains good relationships with commercial banks and other intermediaries that facilitate the execution of transactions.
- Analyses economic and financial market topics relevant to the investment decision-making process and portfolio management to identify potential risks and opportunities.
- Identifies market trends with respect to reserve management investment products and services, and fixed income portfolio management techniques.
- Researches topics of particular interest for the bank’s management.
Banking and Asset Management business area
- Takes active part in the development of the Asset Management business area as a whole and contributes to the achievement of the units objectives.
- Supports Central Bank Sales (CBS) in maintaining existing and developing new business and customers.
- Represents BIS AM in meetings with internal and external clients – including visits to BIS AM’s existing and prospective clients to communicate investment approach, strategy and portfolio performance.
- Represents BIS AM in working groups, seminars and conferences. Advises central banks on reserve management techniques and solutions.
- Represents AM in departmental and/or Bank-wide projects.
- Provides knowledge, guidance and support to other internal units in delivering portfolio management products and services.
- Demonstrates a proactive approach in establishing and developing good working relationships with internal units and central banks.
- PhD/MSc in Economics, Finance or equivalent; CFA charter holder is advantageous.
- At least eight years of experience in fixed income portfolio management.
- The position holder is a highly respected and seasoned professional with a proven track record in asset management.
- The position holder demonstrates the highest level of ethical/business standards when interacting with external/internal clients and colleagues.
- Thorough understanding of the parameters surrounding supranational and central banking institutions.
- Energetic and proactive attitude. Excellent negotiation and mediating skills. Ability to work under pressure. Multi-culturally adept.
- Excellent verbal and drafting skills in English and working knowledge of another major language.
- Ability to multi-task efficiently and back-up team members.
All new staff members are recruited on a fixed-term basis without expectation either of any contract renewal or conversion. The contract may however be extended or converted to an open-ended one at the end of the term, subject to organisational needs and individual performance. The BIS is fully committed to equal opportunity employment and strives for diversity among its staff.
Application closing date: 4 August 2019