Application closing date: 5 April 2018
You will be part of the Innovation and Architecture Division in the Directorate General Information Systems (DG/IS).
We are a growing team responsible for innovative technology adoption, the architecture of IT systems and related services required by the European Central Bank (ECB) and the European System of Central Banks (ESCB).
In your role as Business Applications Architect, you will define – in collaboration with project and development teams – the architecture for ECB and ESCB business applications, supporting reuse and agility. In addition, you will develop architectural directions, roadmaps and requirements, and facilitate decision-making on the evolution of IT systems.
The position offers you excellent opportunities to contribute to digital developments across different business areas at the ECB, driving the implementation and evolution of horizontal services and shared components in crucial areas such as data analytics, data integration, business intelligence, enterprise content management, portals and collaboration, and enterprise resource planning (ERP). You will also contribute to the evolution of a data-centric IT environment based on technologies such the Hadoop/Spark stack and Oracle Exadata.
We are currently hiring two Business Application Architects.
To further enhance the diversity of our team, we particularly encourage applications from female candidates.
As a Business Application Architect, you will:
- support projects by identifying and designing the most suitable technical solutions for meeting functional and non-functional requirements, taking into account architecture principles, reference architecture patterns and tactical and strategic enterprise architecture goals and directions;
- develop and maintain business application architecture principles, strategies, non-functional requirements, reference patterns, target state models and roadmaps to support the evolution of the ECB and ESCB applications landscape;
- contribute to the development of the ECB’s IT architecture function, the enterprise architecture framework and the reference architectures in the different architecture domains;
- collaborate proactively with other enterprise and solution architects, IT security experts and other technical specialists to assess and advise on innovative and promising technologies for addressing strategic and tactical business requirements;
- support the Architecture Steering Board by representing the business and application architecture viewpoints;
- write project-specific solution architecture deliverables;
- review and endorse architecture-relevant project documentation;
- act as a lead solution architect in an advisory role, drawing on the expertise of the entire architecture team and going beyond application architecture aspects if necessary;
- provide technical requirements and guidance for procurement procedures and technology selection activities, including the selection of commercial off-the-shelf software and cloud-based software-as-a-service (SaaS) solutions.
Qualifications, experience and skills
- a master’s degree, preferably in information technology or another relevant field;
- in addition, a minimum of six but ideally more years of professional work experience in the design and development of business applications, at least three of which in the role of architect;
- broad and deep knowledge of a wide range of business application technologies, in particular for dealing with highly sensitive data and large data volumes;
- an advanced command of English with proven experience of writing effective, high-quality documents;
- an intermediate command of at least one other official language of the European Union.
- experience in data analytics, big data, data quality management, business intelligence and data warehouse technologies;
- knowledge of information security features of application architecture, particularly in the area of identity and access management, authorisation and authentication patterns, standards and technologies;
- familiarity with optimised application design for performance and high availability;
- knowledge of data integration architectures (including ETL/ELT solutions);
- experience of enterprise application integration and different types of application architectures, e.g. in the areas of portals and collaboration, enterprise content and document management, ERP systems and cloud computing;
- experience in financial services and valid industry certification in a relevant professional discipline;
- knowledge of, and experience with, enterprise architecture methodologies, frameworks and industry best practices;
- an understanding of business architecture modelling, business cases, and requirements and processes analysis;
- familiarity with application architecture frameworks, standards and supporting technologies, such as SOA;
You engage collaboratively with others. You pursue team goals and learn willingly from other people’s diverse perspectives. You signal any need for change by explaining it and proposing alternative solutions. You analyse complex information effectively and can evaluate different views to arrive at solutions. You know and anticipate stakeholder needs.
The recruitment process for this position may include an on-site written exercise, a presentation, a Skype interview and panel interviews.
The formal job title for this position will be IT Expert.