Are you a qualified and proactive Electrical Safety Engineer, willing to become an expert advisor in electrical safety at the heart of one of the world’s most complex and exciting scientific experiments? Then this opportunity is for you. Join the largest particle physics research laboratory in the world! CERN, take part!
As an Electrical Safety Engineer, you will join:
CERN’s Occupational Health & Safety and Environmental Protection Unit (HSE), the Organization’s centre of competence in matters of safety. The Health and Safety Unit supports the Organization in striving to maintain excellence in safety, an indispensable requirement for sustainable research.
The HSE unit contributes to CERN’s safety policy, writes CERN specific safety rules and coordinates CERN’s HSE matters with the respective Host State bodies. The HSE unit advises CERN’s management, supports facility operators and project leaders in identifying safety risks and state of the art solutions, whilst monitoring the efficiency of the implemented measures. The HSE unit is responsible for advice in occupational health & safety, environmental protection and is fully accountable for radiation protection and for CERN’s Fire Brigade.
Within the HSE unit, the Occupational Health & Safety (OHS) Group acts as expert advisor in all safety domains ranging from general, mechanical, chemical, electrical, fire and cryogenic safety. In addition, the OHS unit is responsible for occupational medicine at CERN. The Group monitors and performs independent checks adapted to the needs of the Departments with the aim of enhancing prevention and ensuring that all safety aspects are integrated from the earliest stage of any project and that best safety practices are shared, harmonized and disseminated.
As an Electrical Safety Engineer in the Prevention & Safety Engineering Expertise Section of HSE-OH&S, you will take up the role of the CERN specialist for electrical safety, joining a multidisciplinary team of safety experts, covering several engineering domains.
Electrical safety at CERN covers domains such as distribution networks, special CERN equipment (Radio Frequencies, Power Converters, particle detectors, etc.) as well as non-ionizing radiation (NIR) and Electro Magnetic Compatibility (EMC).
- Contribute to the projects/experiments safety support activity of the HSE-OHS Group, internally coordinating the contributions of different safety specialists.
- Support, check and validate design calculations prepared by different CERN technical departments. This activity can relate to highly specialised equipment, not fully covered by common standards.
- Perform applied research activities on accident scenarios related to electrical equipment and provide technical guidance and input for vulnerability assessments of CERN equipment and networks; lead task forces or projects on, for example, the aging of cables in CERN’s accelerator environment.
- Support in safety audits and technical reviews.
- Check conformity of engineering and tendering specifications with standard safety requirements.
- Design and deliver safety training related to all electrical safety domains.
- Write CERN safety documentation including rules, instructions and guidelines.
Master’s degree or PhD, or equivalent relevant experience in the field of electrical engineering, applied physics, or equivalent. Professional certification in the field of electrical safety, or a related field, is an asset.
- Experience in designing and safety validation of distribution networks, RF equipment, power converters and/or particle physics detectors. Experience in the manufacturing phase would be an advantage.
- Demonstrated experience in the use of software packages for circuit analysis: ability to assess the conformity of a design with applicable safety standards and principles would be an asset.
- Experience in research activities related to electrical safety engineering is an advantage.
- Occupational safety and risk management: familiarity with qualitative and quantitative electrical risk assessment
- Knowledge of non-ionization radiations hazards and protection: familiarity with EMC and laser safety would be an asset
- Construction, test and commissioning of electrical circuits and networks
- Electrical equipment design: deep knowledge of the European standards for electrical design and risk assessment. Knowledge of relevant IEC standards would be an asset.
- Communicating effectively: demonstrating a pro-active approach to resolving differences; addressing issues of conflict constructively.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements; being willing to work on different projects simultaneously.
- Working in teams: cooperating constructively with others in the pursuit of team goals; balancing personal goals with team goals.
- Solving problems: producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements; identifying, defining and assessing problems and taking action to address them.
- English or French: spoken and written, with the ability to draw-up safety documentation, reports and articles and to make oral presentations.
- The ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts would be an advantage.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN’s mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States. (https://careers.cern/content/member-states)
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 26.09.2018.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: HSE-OHS-XP-2018-92-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Health, Safety and Environment Engineer
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further