As a mechanical engineer in the Targets Collimators and Dumps Section you will be responsible for the design, manufacture, assembly, commissioning and in-service support of new beam intercepting devices along with upgrades of existing equipment. This will involve:
- Mechanical design studies of precision structures and mechanisms for harsh environments including finite element method (FEM) and theoretical calculations, selection of materials and lubricants along with integration of sensors and actuators required for precise remote control of their movements;
- In-depth investigations and tests to determine root causes of operational failures, development of repair plans and carrying out repair interventions. In this context studies on radiation damage of components could be needed;
- Executing R&D activities including one-of-a-kind design works, resulting from the needs of new projects associated to the Organisation needs, in particular in the framework of the LHC High Luminosity upgrade project;
- Organize the prototyping and validation activities of complex components;
- Industrial and in-kind procurement activities including: writing technical specifications, carrying out market surveys, issuing price enquiries, managing supply contracts for the production of small series by industrial companies and organizing resulting team works;
- Assembly and test of precision structures and mechanisms – some with accuracies in the micrometer range and specific requirements such as compatibility with Ultra High Vacuum;
- Supervising technical personnel for design, prototyping, production, commissioning and maintenance interventions – also carrying out these tasks yourself in order to fully understand the equipment;
- Ensuring that the equipment under your responsibility is fully documented throughout its life cycle.
Master’s degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of mechanical, nuclear or aerospace engineering or a related field.
- Design and calculation of structures and mechanisms operating under vacuum along with the integration of control system elements (mechatronics);
- Carrying out risk and failure mode analyses and feeding the results into the design process;
- In-depth analysis of equipment breakdowns to diagnose root causes and implement repair solutions;
- Practical experience in mechanical assembly, good understanding of machining and assembly techniques and their application to the design process;
- Responsibility for mechanical equipment design and build projects in a professional context including cost estimation, project management and scheduling;
- Use of computer aided design (CAD) in a professional context in order to model and draft mechanical components;
- Extensive practical and theoretical knowledge of finite element methods (FEM) for nonlinear, static and dynamic, thermal and mechanical analyses, along with hand calculations in a professional context;
- Knowledge and application of manufacturing methods and work preparation: manufacturing techniques and processes: assembly of mechanical structures and equipment, knowledge and application of manufacturing methods and work preparation, manufacturing of mechanical parts;
- Design and analysis of mechanical structures: structures and machines: design and analysis of mechanical structures, Knowledge and application of numerical modelling in solid mechanics (finite-elements), Integration of mechanical systems, Production of 2D drawings and 3D models;
- Specification and follow-up of technical aspects of a contract
- Maintenance management: Operational management: maintenance management, Project management, Quality management, Risk management and Organisation, planning and control.
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting; taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen; remaining objective, focused and productive in a stressful environment; focusing on solutions rather than problems;
- Achieving results: defining clear objectives, milestones and deliverables before initiating work/ project; delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations; driving work / projects along and seeing them through to their conclusion;
- Communicating effectively: expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point;
- Working in the interest of the Organization: demonstrating motivation for own work, being enthusiastic, involved and energetic in pursuing tasks;
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships; sharing and letting others participate in own work/project; encouraging team development Working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities.
Spoken and written English or French: ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages and an undertaking to acquire the other rapidly.
Closing date for applications 31 October 2020 before midnight.
In your application please specify that you found out about this opportunity on GCFjobs.com
Veuillez indiquer dans votre candidature que vous avez consulté cette offre sur le site web GCFjobs.com