Software Engineer for data distribution and storage
Work with us to extend the data transfer system of the LHC (Large Hadron Collider) which connects CERN with its international partners. CERN is the birthplace of the World Wide Web and one of the world leading laboratories for particle physics. Join the Storage Group in CERN’s IT Department as a Software Engineer for a unique challenge as the next step in your career. CERN, take part!
CERN’s Storage Group is responsible for enabling data access for the laboratory and most notably to archive, long-term preserve and distribute LHC data to a worldwide scientific community. Today we operate a heterogeneous disk/tape system, with several large EOS disk farms and a Ceph infrastructure. In total the group handles more than 300 petabytes of data across about 2,000 data servers (60,000 disks) and 35,000 high-capacity tapes. CERN’s storage systems are continuously evolved to adapt to changing user’s needs with respect to functionality and performance and to further reduce their operational costs at CERN and its partner institutions.
More information on the IT Department is at: http://cern.ch/it.
The selected candidate will join the activities of the Analytics and Design (AD) section of the Storage (ST) group. As a Software Engineer for data distribution and storage, you will:
- Develop the data transfer system implementation for CERN and WLCG experiments.
- Support the data transfer services (user support and incident response) including the participation of on- call duties.
- Maintain/improve service documentation (procedures, regular reports, incident analysis and user documentation) together with other members of the AD section.
- Contribute actively to the evolution of the CERN data management services (service evolution, service or data migration).
Master’s degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of software engineering or a related field.
The candidate should have demonstrated practical experience in at least some of the following areas:
- In-depth experience in Object-oriented software design on Linux and implementation in C++.
- Practical experience with development, testing and debugging of distributed systems.
- Practical experience with scripting in Python.
The following additional experience would be an asset:
- Distributed trust systems and public key infrastructures.
- Current networking and storage technologies such as software defined networking and distributed/cloud storage systems.
- Database development (with MySQL or similar).
- Cluster-wide configuration and deployment tools such as Puppet, Docker/Kubernetes.
Good knowledge of English is required; ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations. Basic knowledge of French or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Closing date for applications: 13 October 2019
In your application please specify that you found out about this opportunity on GCFjobs.com Veuillez indiquer dans votre candidature que vous avez consulté cette offre sur le site web GCFjobs.com