Speak to CTBTO about this role at Global Careers for Women 2018
Application closing date: 28 March 2018
The Preparatory Commission for the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization (CTBTO) is an international organization located in Vienna, Austria. Its main task is to establish a global verification regime to monitor compliance with the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT), which bans all nuclear explosions. The verification regime includes a global network of 337 monitoring facilities, using four different technologies (seismic, hydroacoustic, infrasound and radionuclide), a communications infrastructure, an international data centre, and the capability to carry out on-site inspections.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Director, Legal and External Relations Division, the incumbent will carry out the following duties:
- Conceptualize, design and execute the overall public information strategy of the Organization to foster broad understanding of and international support for the objectives of the Treaty and the activities of the Preparatory Commission;
- Plan and ensure the proper implementation of the activities of the Section. Lead and direct staff; plan and allocate work assignments; coach, mentor, and evaluate staff; participate in recruitment and selection of new staff and in the development of training programs;
- Provide technical and policy advice on highly complex public information and communications issues; develop and disseminate best practices;
- Provide briefings to the public and to the media on complex technical issues in plain language, as circumstances require; prepare relevant information materials for the Executive Secretary;
- Develop a proactive media relations strategy by maintaining relations with press, television and radio as well as through electronic means;
- Oversee the preparation, from research to publication, of newsletters, brochures, reports, video/radio outputs and high profile multi-media communications campaigns; Oversee the CTBTO social media presence and lead digital media campaigns to enhance public outreach and engagement activities using a range of digital media platforms and leveraging emerging technologies and trends;
- Provide diverse materials (briefings, speeches, media analysis, media guidance, talking points, etc.) for use by senior officials;
- Set quality and production standards for information dissemination. Assess the overall effectiveness of the public information strategy and programmes and make needed changes in approach and technique;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Advanced university degree in communication, journalism and/or relevant fields in the technical sciences relevant to the CTBT verification technologies is required;
- At least 10 years of experience in the field of public information, communications and journalism with a minimum of four years at the international level. National or international experience with emergency response communication is desirable;
- Excellent oral and written command of English. Knowledge of other official languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) is desirable.