The Communications Manager, Global Health is responsible for strategic communications planning for the United Nations Foundation’s global health portfolio, as well as communications planning and implementation for the UN Foundation’s engagement with the Global Polio Eradication Initiative and the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, TB, and Malaria.
The Communications Manager, Global Health will secure and maintain relationships with the press and UN Foundation partners in order to promote the work undertaken by the UN Foundation and the UN to advance key global challenges. The Communications Manager, Global Health will also be tasked with creating official statements, news releases, web content, and talking points for representatives of the UN Foundation.
The Communications Manager, Global Health is a member of both the UN Foundation’s Public Affairs Team and the Global Health Team and reports primarily to the Vice President for Global Health Strategy. The Communications Manager, Global Health works closely with communications leads for UNF campaigns and initiatives to help inform global health content and collaborate around key opportunities.
- Oversee strategic communications planning and implementation for UN Foundation’s cross-cutting global health priorities, including health-related SDGs, antimicrobial resistance, and universal health coverage.
- Provide strategic guidance on positioning relevant global health issues to broader UN Foundation target audiences, working in close consultation with the UN Foundation Public Affairs team.
- Strategically manage communications partnerships and implement UNF communications strategies related to work with the Global Polio Eradication Initiative and Global Fund.
- Develop and maintain strong strategic relationships with communications counterparts at the UN Foundation partner organizations and other United Nations agencies related to health, including the World Health Organization. Manage select communications tactics to support those relationships, as needed.
- Coordinate information sharing and intelligence gathering with UNF campaigns & initiatives based on conversations with multilateral institutions and partnerships.
- Support global health press fellowships and ongoing engagement of former journalist fellows.
- Implement strategy to communicate with media, partner organizations and other target audiences about the UN Foundation’s work in global health.
- Write talking points, event briefings, press releases and other content, as needed.
- Support the overall efforts of the Public Affairs and Global Health staff as directed.
- BS or BA required in communications, journalism, or a related field
- Minimum of 5-7 years in public affairs, journalism or public relations related to global public health.
- Demonstrated experience in the field of communications and global public health. Working knowledge of the UN and multilateral institutions a plus.
- On-the-record media experience with a proven track record of obtaining media coverage for organizations and issues.
- Excellent editing and writing skills.
- Management experience preferred.
- Team player with the ability to work independently.
- Good organizational skills and ability to manage several projects simultaneously.
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy.
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress.