Speak to UNOPS about this role at Global Careers for Women 2018
Functions/ Key Results Expected
- General construction
- Knowledge management
- Assist the Project Manager to monitor UNOPS implementation plan including Quality, Health & Safety and Environment.
- Where required assist the Contractor to manage, plan and coordinate monthly, weekly and daily construction activities including monitoring site safety and construction quality.
- Participate in construction approval and inspection activities.
- Liaise closely with engineering staff, ensuring engineering accuracy of construction activities.
- Identify and solve construction issues in a timely fashion, keeping project manager and engineering staff informed.
- Liaise with, and provide support to, other offices within the country as required.
- Promote a collaborative, client focused, quality and results-oriented approach in the Project Team.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of progress and conditions on site through daily site record.
- Prepare and submit to the Project Engineer/Senior Project Engineer a monthly(or as requested) report within 5 days of month-end, summarizing progress of contractor activities, quality control issues, resourcing and scheduling issues, and any other pertinent facts as required.
- Produce any appropriate documentation identified by the Project Manager in a professional and accurate manner.
- Contribute to the project evaluation process; highlight challenges associated with the project and feedback into a continuous improvement cycle.
- Provide training and knowledge transfer to national/contractor personnel including advice on good construction practices, environmental management practices, and appropriate health and safety standards during construction.
- Contribute to the dissemination and sharing of best practices and lessons learned for development planning and knowledge building.
The effective and successful achievement of results by the Construction Manager directly affects the successful delivery of the project on time, budget and above the expectations of all stakeholders. This consequently reinforces the visibility and image of UNOPS as an effective service provider in project services and management and strengthens its competitive position as a partner of choice in sustainable development and project services.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards.
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNOPS.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
- Demonstrates strong technical knowledge and commitment to continuous learning.
- Demonstrates results orientation and focus on solutions.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective work relationships with clients, donors and other stakeholders.
- Ability to plan work in a collaborative manner and to manage priorities
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve the goals of the project and in accordance with UNOPS shared goals
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure.
A nationally recognized certificate in a relevant construction trade, for example carpentry, concreting, plumbing, electrician etc is highly desirable.
Project Management Certification (for example PRINCE2®) or Project Management Professional (PMP®) is desirable
- A Higher National Diploma (or national equivalent) in construction management or similar with minimum 11 years’ experience in managing or supervising construction activities related to the project requirements on a range of large and diverse construction projects in a developed commercial environment, requiring the coordination of multiple contractors and multiple trades simultaneously is required.
- Ability to deliver projects on time, within budget in a demanding cultural context with transitional government partners under challenging physical conditions and poor national infrastructure is required.
- Extensive experience implementing works under complex quality and safety plans is essential.
- Experience directing and mentoring technical trade staff is essential.
- Some experience in the UN system organizations and/or a developing country is desirable.
- Full working knowledge of English/French/Spanish/Arabic is essential.
- Knowledge of another official UNOPS language is an asset