Country Director – VSO – Uganda
Meet ambitious business pursuit targets, allowing VSO Uganda to scale its programmes and impact by securing more significant grants and contracts. Working with the business pursuit team, identify new funding sources, cultivate donor relations and develop quality funding submissions.
Strategic Leadership, Representation and Policy Dialogue
Actively participate as a VSO global leader as well as provide strategic leadership to the VSO Uganda team. Represent VSO Uganda internally and externally, in line with our organisational agendas, by engaging in evidence-based influencing, alliance building and policy dialogue. Contribute to raising the profile of VSO in-country with key actors.
Programme Development and Management
Lead the development and delivery of impactful programmes demonstrating VSO’s volunteering for development approach. Lead in management of VSO’s partner portfolio in Uganda ensuring high quality partnerships that contribute to quality programming and positive impact.
Leadership, Engagement and People Management
Lead, manage engage and develop our people in Uganda through coaching and mentoring approaches as necessary. Ensure people related policies are implemented in line with VSO’s country and global requirements. Collaboratively drive and support people engagement by ensuring alignment to VSO’s mission, vision and overall strategy.
Financial and Resource Management
Accountable for the country office’s overall resources, financial performance, and the management of specific grants and contracts. Ensure robust compliance with financial controls, VSO policies, donor and host government requirements.
Governance and Legal Compliance
Ensure full legal compliance in all areas (NGO, tax, employment, health and safety, insurance and internal VSO requirements etc.).
Safeguarding, Security and Risk Management
Commit to safeguarding and take a zero tolerance approach to abuse and harm. Accountable for emergency and risk planning/management in Uganda. Ensure plans are developed in collaboration with the duty of care team and stakeholders (staff, volunteer, primary actors, etc.) are aware and comply.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Essential criteria (must have to be able to carry out the role successfully)
- Significant business pursuit experience and proven success; a passion for networking, relationship building and pre-positioning.
- Significant experience in awards management, ensuring projects achieve desired results on time, on budget, and on scope.
- Strong change management experience, with the skills and determination to push through needed changes.
- Proven track record of leading and developing a high performing multicultural team working in a global matrix management team environment.
- Substantial experience of financial management and procurement.
- Strong political awareness and sensitivity.
- Solid risk and incident management experience.