Oversee all programme and support activities in-country, representing Medair in all issues relating to the country programme, the Country Director plays a key role in donor relations and manages the country strategy and the project implementation in conjunction with senior field managers.
Medair is responding to Emergencies after cyclone or flooding during the cyclone season (December to April). Medair has implemented DRM/DRR projects in the past and may implement new ones in the future. Medair has started a significant 42 months integrated WASH project in the Maroantsetra and Mananara District to benefit more than 100,000 people in these remotes areas of Madagascar.
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure.
Based in Antananarivo, Madagascar. Take a look at Medair’s work in Madagascar.
As soon as possible
Initial Contract Details
Full time, minimum 2 years
Key Activity Areas
Leadership and Management
- Design, update and evaluate the country strategy, in conjunction with the relevant senior field managers and HQ staff. Take into account community needs, donor criteria and strategies and an exit strategy in order to facilitate the long-term planning and development of the projects in the country.
- Support and oversee the monitoring, evaluation and reporting on the implementation of the planned activities in accordance with the project proposals and logical frameworks and institutional donor policies and guidelines.
- Manage the overall programme and support functions, including reviewing and refining the management structures and overseeing the development and maintenance of operational procedures for individual projects and support functions.
Donor Relations Management
- Develop and maintain contact with the in-country representatives of relevant funding partners (e.g. institutional donors or private donor organisations) in order to secure funding for the country programme.
- Oversee the drafting and presentation of all proposals, operational and financial reports related to the country programme, in collaboration with the relevant senior field managers and HQ staff.
- Develop and maintain relationships with authorities, churches, donors, media, other NGOs and embassies with the objective of raising public awareness and identifying funding opportunities and other potential partnerships.
- Ensure that the HQ Communication and Fund Raising (CFR) Department receives appropriate material for communication and fund-raising activities.
- Support the planning and construction of project budgets, in collaboration with relevant senior field managers and HQ staff.
- Manage the spending within the programme in-line with the approved budgets. Analyse projected cash flow, decide on the timing of major procurements, oversee audits and anticipate where over or under spending may occur and ensure necessary action is taken.
- Ensure sufficient and appropriate controls are in place to prevent fraud and that staff receive the required information and training to minimise the risk of occurrence within the country programme.
- Oversee all HR related issues within the programme including job descriptions, recruitment, performance management, development and training, health and safety, team structures, capability disciplinary action, etc. in collaboration with the relevant staff and managers.
- Oversee the updating and implementation of country location security plans, guidelines and manuals.
- Ensure appropriate security procedures and awareness are maintained throughout the country programme.
- University degree in a relevant subject such as Management / Development Studies / Business Administration or in a relevant technical subject
- Strong working knowledge of French (spoken and written)
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written)
- Knowledge of local language, such as Malagasy, an asset
Experience / Competencies
- 3 years post-qualification experience in a management position
- Experience in the design, monitoring of implementation and evaluation of humanitarian / emergency programmes, as well as experience in dealing with donors and government officials
- Experience of representation at national and local levels
- Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and HAP Standards and other international humanitarian guidelines and protocols
- Advanced leadership and project management skills; committed to consultative and servant leadership
- Committed to team-building and able to develop and support other team members
- Team-player with good inter-personal, networking, advocacy and conflict management skills desirable
- Good knowledge of UN, humanitarian actors and current humanitarian debates and issues desirable
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels
- Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner
Medair Standard Working Requirements for the Field
- Experienced professionals in a relevant field; Overseas intercultural experience
- Committed Christians; commitment to the Medair values
- Strong working knowledge of English, spoken and written
- Working knowledge of French, spoken and written, for French-speaking field programmes
- Single or married (with no children under 18). If married, your spouse must also apply.
- Successful completion of Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC)
- Reflect the vision and values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, external contacts
- Able to live and work in a multicultural team under difficult conditions
- Strong character traits, including emotional stability, adaptability, ability to handle stress, cultural and gender sensitivity, honesty, and physically fit
– See more at: http://relief.medair.org/en/jobs/positions/country-director-mdg1/#sthash.a6xO7OSp.dpuf