Manage the support functions of the programme to facilitate the implementation of the country strategy and also manage some aspects of implementation and development of the programme alongside the Projects Coordinator (PC) and Advisors. Assisting the Country Director (CD) with providing leadership, strategic direction, management and evaluation of the Medair programmes, the Deputy Country Director (DCD) also plays a key role in external representation, legal compliance, grant management, programme coordination and team leadership.
The projects Medair are currently implementing in CHL are: WASH, Food Security (DRR and agriculture outputs), Food Assistance (cash for work) when needed and emergency response when needed. Medair is also operating in the Southern region of Afghanistan implementing nutrition projects through mobile clinics.
Based in Dubai, with frequent visits to Afghanistan
As soon as possible
Initial Contract Details
Full time, minimum contract 24 months
Key Activity Areas
- To deputise for the Country Director in their absence.
- Support field managers in coordination with the Projects Coordinators in all aspects of finance, administrative, human resource and logistics management, ensuring knowledge of and adherence to applicable operational systems, donor requirements and country programme strategy.
- Prepare and implement policies, procedures and guidelines, as appropriate and with the relevant field managers and HQ staff, so as to enhance the smooth running of the programmes through standardised procedures and improved support. This may include finance and governance procedures, staff management, fleet management and IT security and infrastructure.
- Manage a comprehensive activity plan for the programme, including resource needs analysis, covering the time frames of the project proposals.
- Represent Medair at relevant national and local meetings with government officials, contractors, other NGOs, etc., reporting back as applicable to staff, field managers and HQ.
- Assist the CD and work with the senior management team with the identification and design of future projects.
- Conduct needs assessments in areas identified by the CD and senior management team, working with advisors, coordinators and project managers where necessary.
- Ensure budgets are spent according to donor proposals and regulations and within the appropriate timeframe and advising the senior field managers of the financial status of the projects.
- Line manage designated staff, including direct supervision and development.
- Through a consultative leadership style and a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure, assist the CD with the development and building of an effective team.
- In conjunction with relevant managers review, develop and implement (as applicable) systems to improve transparency and to detect and ultimately prevent loss or fraud. Carry-out regular inspections, and spot-checks, both on systems and on-going work, to ensure the best use of Medair assets and resources.
- Regularly assess and provide feedback and recommendations on the quality of the programmes and interventions during field visits and at other relevant times.
- Security administrator for Kabul location, which includes administration of “Go/No go lists”, communicating security alerts to the team, maintenance of safe rooms, maintenance of base security, maintenance of CMT boxes.
- Liaise with 24/7 for updated contact information and monitoring quality of service.
- University degree in a relevant subject such as Management / Development Studies / Business Administration or in a relevant technical subject
- Security Management / Leadership training desirable
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written)
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years post-qualification experience in a management position
- 1 years post-qualification experience in a complex humanitarian emergency
- Overseas work experience, preferably with a relief and rehabilitation NGO
- Experience and ability to work effectively in a cross-cultural context
- Experience in dealing with donors and government officials
- Skills and experience in funding proposal development
- Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and HAP Standards and other international humanitarian guidelines and protocols
- Advanced planning, assessment, analytical, leadership and management skills
- Team-player with good inter-personal skills; committed to consultative and servant leadership
- Able to cope with basic living conditions in the field and during field trips
Medair Standard Working Requirements for the Field
- Experienced professionals in a relevant field; Overseas intercultural experience
- Committed Christians; commitment to the Medair values
- Strong working knowledge of English, spoken and written
- Working knowledge of French, spoken and written, for French-speaking field programmes
- Single or married (with no children under 18). If married, your spouse must also apply.
- Successful completion of Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC)
- Reflect the vision and values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, external contacts
- Able to live and work in a multicultural team under difficult conditions
- Strong character traits, including emotional stability, adaptability, ability to handle stress, cultural and gender sensitivity, honesty, and physically fit