Manage all aspects of the implementation and development of the programme and support functions to facilitate the implementation of the country strategy. Provide leadership, strategic direction, management and evaluation of all aspects of the Medair programmes. Play a key role in external representation, legal compliance grant management, programme coordination and team leadership.
Multi-sector relief programme including: provision of Primary Health Care, Health and Hygiene Promotion, Water and Sanitation and NFI distributions across fixed and emergency response locations. Goal is to assist in improving health and water and sanitation conditions for vulnerable people in South Sudan.
Juba, South Sudan with frequent travel to field locations
Initial Contract Details
Full time, 24 months
Key Activity Areas
- Deputise for the Country Director in their absence.
- Oversee programme implementation in consultation with the relevant senior field managers (programme and programme support) and in accordance with the project proposals, ensure objectives are met within the required time frames and budgets. Where necessary ensure preventative and corrective action is taken.
- Facilitate cross cutting communications with all country teams implementing and supporting the programme plans.
- Support field managers in all aspects of finance, administrative, human resource and logistics management, ensuring knowledge of and adherence to applicable operational systems, donor requirements and country programme strategy.
- Prepare and implement policies, procedures and guidelines, as appropriate and with the relevant field managers and HQ staff, so as to enhance the smooth running of the programmes through standardised procedures and improved support.
- Manage a comprehensive activity plan for the programme, including resource needs analysis, covering the time frames of the project proposals.
- Represent Medair at relevant national and local meetings with government officials, contractors, other NGOs, etc., reporting back as applicable to staff, field managers and HQ.
- Supervise the project budget management and expenditure, in collaboration with field managers and HQ staff, ensuring budgets are spent according to donor proposals and regulations.
- Line manage designated staff, including direct supervision and development.
- Hold regular team meetings and, through a consultative leadership style and a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure, develop and build an effective team.
- Review, develop and implement (as applicable) systems to improve transparency and to detect and ultimately prevent loss or fraud.
- Ensure country programmes are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards e.g. Sphere and HAP standards, WHO recommendations, etc.
Field – Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the vision and values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Live, work and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings.
- Instigate and contribute to prayer times within internationally recruited staff and HQ teams.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international programmes and HQ prayer network.
- University degree in a relevant subject such as Management / Development Studies / Business Administration or in a relevant technical subject
- Post-graduate degree in the humanitarian sector desirable
- Security management and/or Leadership training desirable
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written)
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years post-qualification experience in a management position
- 1 year post-qualification experience in a complex humanitarian emergency
- Experience in dealing with donors and government officials
- Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and HAP Standards
- Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills
- Advanced leadership and management skills; ability to build trust and enforce procedures
- Experience and willingness in training/mentoring staff
- Team-player with good inter-personal skills; committed to team-building and able to develop and support other team members
- Self-motivated, energetic, hard-working, servant-hearted
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels
Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS) roles in the field
- Professionals with 12 months or more relevant relief or development experience (Experienced Relief Workers)
- Professionals with less than 12 months relevant relief or development experience (New Relief Workers)
- Experienced professionals in a relevant Medair sector of expertise
- Overseas intercultural experience
- Fully committed to the Medair values; to reflect the vision and values of Medair with team members, local staff, and external contacts
- Strong working knowledge of English, spoken and written
- Working knowledge of French, spoken and written, for French-speaking field programmes
- Able to live and work in a multicultural team under difficult conditions
- Strong character traits, including emotional stability, adaptability, ability to handle stress, cultural and gender sensitivity, honesty, and physically fit
- Single or married (with no children under 18). If married, your spouse must also apply.
- All potential candidates for field positions must successfully complete the Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC). Information, dates and related costs can be found via this link.
- This is a field position based in Juba and working and living conditions may be very different to that previously experienced.