Name of the Post: DEVOPS Engineer –within the ICT Business Area, ICT Operations Group, Infrastructure Engineering Team at Europol (Contract Agent, FGIV)
Reporting to: Senior Specialist within the Infrastructure Operations Team
Business Manager Infrastructure Operations Team
- About Europol
Applications are invited for this position at the European Police Office (Europol).
Europol is located in The Hague, The Netherlands, and its main tasks are the following:
- to collect, store, process, analyse and exchange information and intelligence;
- to aid investigations in the Member States, in particular by forwarding all relevant information to the national units;
- to ask the competent authorities of the Member States concerned to initiate, conduct or coordinate investigations and to suggest the setting up of joint investigation teams in specific cases;
- to provide intelligence and analytical support to Member States in connection with major international events;
- to prepare threat assessments, strategic analyses and general situation reports relating to its objective, including organised crime threat assessments.
For more information please visit Europol’s website www.europol.europa.eu.
Europol applies a policy of equal opportunity for men and women and accepts applications without distinction on ground of sex, race colour, ethnic or social origin, genetic characteristics, and language, religious, political or other convictions and opinions, financial situation, disability, age sexual orientation, marital status or family situation. Applications from female candidates are particularly encouraged. Employment at Europol is open to nationals of the EU Member States. There is no national quota system in operation but Europol is required to strive for a broad range of nationalities in order to keep a well balanced geographical distribution among its staff members.
- Background and main purpose of the post
The ICT Business Area has the responsibility for developing and operating high-quality ICT solutions and capabilities supporting the core mission and support processes of Europol. Some 110 internal staff members are responsible for developing, delivering and maintaining information management and communication technology capabilities that ensure enhanced criminal information exchange between Europol Member States.
The main role of the ICT Operations Group is implementation, installation and maintenance of all ICT Infrastructure components for Europol, the Member States and third parties as well as the support of all computerized systems at Europol.
The ICT Operations group also provides a contact point for services regarding technical enquiries of Member States and Europol staff.
The ICT Operations Group is comprised of several functional teams (e.g. Infrastructure Engineering, Infrastructure Operations, Application Operations, IT Operations Center, Service Management and Service Desk) together with an Embedded Security Team that spans across functional teams in a matrix fashion.
The successful candidate will be part of the ICT Operations Group, Infrastructure Engineering Team within the ICT Business Area working as an Infrastructure Engineer Officer.
In his/her functional role, (s)he will be in charge of the integration of the DEVOPS infrastructure delivery process.
Review existing and develop new automated deployment methodology aiming at infrastructure deployment automation.
Review and/or develop scripts in order to ensure fast and controlled automated deployments.
- Tasks and responsibilities
The successful applicant will have to carry out the following main duties:
- Shorten the time to deliver ICT applications into Production Environment;
- Design and integrate the DEVOPS infrastructure delivery process;
- Proactively collaborate in the definition and implementation of improvements to the DEVOPS Lifecycle Management methodologies and tools;
- Develop the necessary methodology, scripts and procedures to enable deployment automation across multiple environments and multiple teams;
- Create and maintain project-related technical documentation, including design and deployment documentation, in cooperation with the Architecture Team;
- Maintain requirement changes, system model and work performed by developers and infrastructure engineers synchronised during the whole DEVOPS lifecycle;
- Evaluate and implement different options for DEVOPS based solutions/improvement;
- Define / streamline processes within and between the Development and Operations teams in order to enhance deployment speed, quality and efficiency.
- Perform any other tasks in the area of competence as assigned by the line management.
- Eligibility criteria:
- Candidates must:
- Be a national of one of the Member States of the European Union and enjoy full rights as a citizen;
- Have fulfilled any obligations imposed by the applicable laws on military service;
- Produce appropriate character references as to his or her suitability for the performance of the duties;
- Be physically fit to perform the duties pertaining to the position;
- Produce evidence of a thorough knowledge of one of the languages of the Union and a satisfactory knowledge of another language of the Union to the extent necessary for the performance of the duties.
- Candidates must have
- A level of education which corresponds to completed university studies attested by a diploma when the normal period of university education is at least 3 years.
4.2 Selection criteria:
- Professional experience:
- In addition to the 4.1b requirement, at least 5 years of relevant professional work experience;
- Experience with working in a DevOps environment using deployment automation tools
- Experience working alongside an agile development team
- Experience with system administration of Microsoft Windows Server 2008 and 2012 technologies
- Experience with Powershell scripting
- Experience with virtualisation technologies such as VMware and PowerCli
- Experience with Redhat Linux v6 or higher including upgrades and patching
- Experience with Shell scripting (such as bash)
- Experience with Puppet 3.x or higher
- Experience working with continuous integration and release (tools like TeamCity, Jenkins, Hudson, Nolio)
- Experience with Docker
- Experience with version control repositories (tools like TFS, git, SVN)
- Experience with update and binary repositories (tools like YUM and Artifactory)
- Professional knowledge:
- Sound knowledge of Information Technology, especially in the field of automated deployments
- Excellent knowledge of software development methodologies that rely on strong cooperation between software developers and other IT professionals;
- Excellent understanding of software integration and automation;
- Excellent understanding of infrastructure concepts and technology and their impact on clients and services related to the business;
- Experience with defining and implementing DevOps related processes and procedures
- Technical skills and competencies:
- Excellent communications skills in English, both verbally and in writing;
- Technical aptitude – ability to learn new tools, processes and software with minimal direction;
- Good analytical skills in order to manage complex issues and to define action plans including the management of priorities;
- Good negotiation and organisational skills.
- Excellent organisational skills including the ability to plan own work load, exercise initiative and work independently
- Social skills and competencies:
- Tact, discretion with a polite and customer focused approach;
- A strong problem-solving orientation and a high level of flexibility;
- Resilience and stamina to sustain the performance when under pressure from a high volume of work and conflicting priorities;
- Ability to communicate information effectively both verbally and in writing to a wide range of internal and external stakeholders;
- Excellent organisational skills including the ability to plan own work load, exercise initiative and work independently.
- Selection procedure
The Contracting Authority sets up a Selection Committee which consists of at least three members, one from the Business Area Administration/Recruitment and Selection Team of Europol, one from the concerned Business Area or Department and one designated by the Staff Committee.
For non-restricted posts the Contracting Authority may designate up to two additional members to the Selection Committee on a proposal from the Management Board, either from another service of Europol, from outside Europol or from outside the community institutions including Member States.
The Selection Committee determines candidates’ suitability for the position by assessing their skills, experience and qualifications against the established job profile and makes an initial selection from the applications received.
The Selection Committee will invite the 5 highest scoring candidates (short-listed). All candidates having a score equal to the 5th highest scoring candidate will be included to the list of invited candidates.
Shortlisted applicants are invited to participate in a post-related selection procedure, generally consisting of written and/or practical tests and competency-based interviews.
The Contracting Authority makes a decision of appointment on the basis of advice from the Selection Committee. He will inform the Committee of his decision. All candidates who attend the selection procedure will be informed of the outcome.
Candidates who attended a selection procedure may request feedback on their performance of the written test and interview within three months after the selection procedure. Europol will not be in a position to respond to feedback inquiries received outside this time frame.
The Selection Committee’s work and deliberations are confidential. It is forbidden for candidates to make direct or indirect contact with the members of the Selection Committee or for anyone to do so on their behalf. All enquiries or requests for information or documentation in relation to the competition should be addressed to the Europol Recruitment Team.
The successful candidate will be engaged in Function Group IV, grade 13 (EUR 3. 170,61), grade 14 (EUR 3.587,37) or grade 16 (EUR 4.592,43), subject to years of professional experience.
In line with applicable implementing rules the professional experience gained after the education required for the grades above is as follows:
|Grade||Proven professional experience|
|13||Up to 7 years|
|14||More than 7 years|
|16||More than 20 years|
In addition, if applicable, allowances such as expatriation allowance, household allowance, dependent child allowance and education allowance may be granted.
Europol offers a comprehensive welfare package comprising additional benefits such as medical and unemployment insurance as well as a pension scheme.
Salaries are subject to a community tax but are exempt from national taxation.
- Terms and conditions
7.1 Probation period
Engagement at Europol is subject to the successful completion of a probationary period of 9 months. Within the above period the successful candidate will have to undergo a post-related security screening.
Europol reserves the right to terminate the contract of employment during or at the end of the probation period in accordance with Title IV, Article 84 of the Staff Regulations of Officials and Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union.
7.2 Security screening and certificate of good conduct
All candidates who have successfully passed a selection procedure are required to apply for a national “certificate of good conduct” at the time an offer of employment is made. The “certificate of good conduct” must be provided to Europol prior the signature of the employment contract. In case of unfavourable entries in the “Certificate of good conduct” Europol reserves the right not to award an employment contract. However, the national certificate of good conduct does not substitute a valid full Personal Security Clearance Certificate (PSCC) that must be obtained for all Europol staff at the level indicated in the Job Description. A PSCC is a certificate issued by a competent authority establishing that an individual is security cleared. It contains: the level of clearance; the date of issuance and the date of expiry. Failure to obtain the requisite security clearance before the end of 6th month of the probationary period may be cause for termination of employment contract. The requested level of Security Clearance for this post is: CONFIDENTIEL UE/ EU CONFIDENTAL.
7.3 Contract of employment
The successful candidate will be recruited as Contract Agent in Function Group IV pursuant to Article 3a of the Staff Regulations of Officials and Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union, for a period of 5 years (full-time – 40 hours a week). The contract may be renewed once. Only in highly exceptional cases, Europol grants third contracts of an indefinite nature.
The place of employment will be The Hague, The Netherlands.
For further information on terms and conditions please consult the Staff Regulations of Officials and Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union which are available on Europol’s website www.europol.europa.eu.
- Data protection
The data submitted is processed in order to assess the suitability of candidates for a position at Europol. All personal data collected for the purpose of the selection procedure will only be used within this specific context and will not be disclosed to any third party, except for restricted posts in which the application may be transmitted to the National Unit and the respective Liaison Bureau.
Any data provided will be treated in strict confidence and in full compliance with all applicable data protection rules. The legal basis for the processing of personal data are the Staff Regulations of Officials and the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (Title III Chapter 1) and their implementing rules.
All documents provided to Europol will be kept in Europol’s files and will not be returned to the candidate. Applications of non-recruited candidates will be kept for a maximum of two years. Data of non-recruited applicants on the reserve list for appointment will be kept for a maximum of two years after the expiry of the reserve list. Data of recruited candidates will be transferred to their personal file.
The Business manager of HR is responsible for the data processing operation. Candidates have the right to access, rectify, block and erase their personal data in accordance with the applicable data protection rules.
Candidates have the right of recourse to the Europol Data Protection Office (Data Protection Office – PO Box 90850, 2509 LW The Hague, The Netherlands) and the Joint Supervisory Body (www.europoljsb.consilium.europa.eu). Applications sent to the DPO or JSB will not be processed and deleted.
- Additional Information
9.1 Main dates:
Deadline for application: 03 November 2016
Please refer to the EUROPOL RECRUITMENT GUIDELINES available on Europol’s website HREF= for further details on the application process and the selection procedure.
9.2 Contact Details
For further details on the application process please call +31 (0) 70 353 1298.
 Europol has been established under the Council Decision (EC) No. 2009/371 of 6 April 2009.
 Prior to appointment the successful candidate will be medically examined by one of the institution’s medical officers in order that the institution may be satisfied that the candidate fulfils the requirements of Article 12(2)(d) CEOS
 Detailed information on the selection procedure, including the appeal procedure is available in the Europol Recruitment Guidelines, on Europol’s website.
 For the internal candidates, the duration of the current contract will be taken into account in the total duration of the contract.