Application closing date: 30 April 2018
In an increasingly complex and interconnected world, Asia plays a crucial global role. Would you be excited at the prospect of employing your knowledge and skills to improve lives, expand opportunities, and help societies flourish across this dynamic region?
You could have this opportunity at The Asia Foundation. Informed by six decades of experience and deep local expertise, we address critical issues affecting Asia in the 21st century: governance and law, economic development, women’s empowerment, environment, and regional cooperation. We work with innovative leaders and communities to build effective institutions and advance path-breaking reforms. Together with our partners, we are committed to Asia’s continued development as a peaceful, just, and thriving region of the world.
The Asia Foundation’s Lao PDR Office in Vientiane is seeking a director of Operations (Finance and Administration). Reporting to the country representative, the director assists in planning and developing financial and administrative systems, policies, and procedures that are consistent with Asia Foundation and donor guidelines and policies. S/he provides supervision and develops the capacity of the Foundation’s staff and grantees. S/he also has an indirect reporting relationship with the chief financial officer in the Foundation’s San Francisco headquarters. S/he supervises a team of three finance/administrative staff.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and train staff/partners to comply with Foundation policies, including Sexual Harassment, Child Protection, Anti-Trafficking, Code of Conduct, Safety and Security, and various other finance/admin policies.
- Ensure timely and accurate preparation and execution of Annual Budget, budget revisions, and budget summaries for management.
- Negotiate and ensure compliance with project awards and modifications, including working with program and finance staff to ensure timely submission of reports and other deliverables to donors.
- Negotiate and ensure subrecipient compliance with Foundation subawards and modifications, including working with program and finance staff to ensure timely submission of reports and other deliverables to the Foundation.
- Oversee office registration and project approval processes.
- Ensure that office and project procurements comply with the Foundation and donor policies and requirements.
- Stay abreast of Lao labor, social security, and other HR-related laws and regulations and ensure Foundation policies/procedures (employee contracts, salary increases, provident fund, medical benefits, leave) are compliant and regularly updated.
- Ensure seamless provision of office space, residences, furniture, equipment, car service, information technology, travel, and other administrative services.
- Prepare for and respond to audits (together with country representative and Finance Team).
- Supervise Finance team to ensure accuracy of proposal budgets, project budgets, subaward budgets, project spending projections, financial reports, payments, bank reconciliations, accounting entries. Facilitate Finance and Program staff to work together more efficiently.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- At least five years of experience.
- Master’s degree preferred.
- Supervisory level experience in operations, compliance, administration, finance in Asia.
- Ability to safeguard confidentiality.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent computer and financial management software skills and competencies.
- Comfort in working in a fast-paced and fluid operating environment in a country with evolving policy and procedures.
- Ability to work independently on multi-faceted tasks and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated competence in working with international and local counterparts.
- Experience in Laos preferred.