Mechanical & Electrical Engineer – ECMWF – Bologna, Italy
Main duties and key responsibilities
- Maintaining a thorough technical understanding of the day-to-day operation of building services throughout the facility including, for example, electrical and mechanical systems, data cabling infrastructure, fire detection and suppression systems, security and access control etc.
- Planning and organisation of day to day work including o Design, installation, modification and maintenance of electrical supplies o Specification and ordering of materials/services o Installation, maintenance and modification of structured cabling systems o Installation, relocation and maintenance of IT equipment, i.e. servers, network equipment and storage systems
- Monitoring the data centre whitespace and infrastructure using building management system, power and energy management system • Troubleshooting electrical and mechanical systems and advising on their capabilities, particularly when faults have occurred
- Supervising and managing mechanical and electrical contractors that provide routine maintenance and installation work on site
- Contributing to the specification of new and replacement infrastructure and participating in procurements, to ensure that new infrastructure is implemented successfully
- Improving operational resilience and operating efficiency where possible
- Overseeing the Data Centre infrastructure, provisioning of power, cooling and network connectivity to assets
- Producing and maintaining procedures/documentation for safe operation of the facilities systems and infrastructure
- Managing, updating and maintaining the DCIM and power / energy management packages
- Switching LV electrical supplies
- Setting cooling units
- Providing 24*7 on-call support as part of a rota
Qualifications and experience required
- A technical degree in mechanical engineering with an electrical experience or electrical/electronical engineering with a mechanical bias.
- Substantial background and demonstrated relevant experience of working in a mission critical data centre or similar 24/7 environment.
- Demonstrated relevant professional experience in electrical and mechanical services, preferably in a 24/7 mission critical data centre environment.
- Experience with the practical application of Italian technical standards and knowledge of the Italian health and safety regulations and practices would be an advantage.
Knowledge and skills (including language)
- Candidates must hold all relevant qualifications necessary to perform the above-mentioned duties and responsibilities in an Italian-based data centre.
- Candidates must be fluent in both Italian and English as this role will involve reading and communicating highly technical documentation in both languages.
- All interviews will be conducted in English.