Function title: GNSS Resilience Specialist
Nature of the competition: Internal and external competition
Applicable regulations: Conditions of Employment of Contract Staff at EUROCONTROL
Generic post: Junior Specialist (FG-IV) (13/15)
Number of posts: 1
Duration: 3 Year(s)
Security clearance: None required
Directorate/Service: DECMA/RTD/CNS – Communication Navigation and Surveillance Evolution Unit
Competition publication date: 27/03/2019
Competition closing date: 24/04/2019 (23:59 Brussels time)
Reserve list: A reserve list valid for one year may be established for the recruitment of similar posts
Within the Directorate European Civil-Military Aviation, the CNS Evolution Research Unit covers all Agency research and development activities related to Navigation; this includes the Agency’s contribution to Communication, Navigation and Surveillance Support to Deployment and Research projects requiring the expertise available in the Unit.
The successful candidate will perform the following tasks under the responsibility of their superior:
- To collect and analyse information on GNSS (Global Satellite Navigation Systems) events (RFI, spoofing, iono,…) coming from States, GNSS service providers, on-board systems (e.g. ADS-B data), pilot reports (EVAIR) etc.;
- To contribute to GNSS security studies by identifying and assessing threats (e.g. likelihood and severity of intentional jamming/spoofing) and define potential mitigations;
- To disseminate the relevant findings and propose mitigations to support different operational stakeholders;
- To collect and analyse GNSS data from core constellations and augmentations to assess the performance of different GNSS services (availability, continuity, integrity, service area), determine operational impact and interface with relevant stakeholders;
- To support studies relating to Alternative Positioning, Navigation and Timing (A-PNT);
- To support spectrum compatibility assessments between GNSS and other CNS or non-aeronautical systems;
- To contribute to the development of required software tools including requirements specification, acceptance testing, documentation and user support;
- To support the updating of training material and participate in delivery of training courses;
- To proactively engage with internal and external stakeholders through production and dissemination of reports, technical documents and presentation of results;
- To actively participate and share expertise in internal and external meetings;
- To perform any other task related to the main purpose of the job.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE & COMPETENCIES
- Completed university studies of at least 3 years
- In addition to the above, minimum 1 year of relevant work experience in GNSS (industry, academic/research, regulator, ANSP or GNSS service provision). Relevant experience of more than 3 years would be considered an asset. It is desirable having experience on the use of GNSS for Performance-based Navigation (PBN) and other aviation applications.
- Expertise in the following: GNSS, including core constellations and their augmentations (ABAS, SBAS, GBAS); GNSS performance assessment; signals modulation; GNSS aviation receivers and security aspects and mitigations (e.g. authentication); radio frequency propagation and associated effects; common engineering software tools such as Matlab, Labview or similar and radio frequency measurement tools
- Understanding of standards and standardisation organisations relevant to aeronautical navigation systems and spectrum
- Understanding of CNS/ATM systems including associated aircraft systems
- Communication: Fosters two-way communication
- Team work: Displays a collaborative approach
- Planning and organising: Displays an organised and methodical approach
- Quality focus: Sets and fosters high quality standards
- Analytical thinking: Analyses information and identifies relationships
- Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment
- Professional conduct in line with the corporate behaviours of the Agency i.e. result-driven, readiness to change, customer focus, integrity and team-player approach
- The working languages of the Agency are English and French. For this particular post, thorough knowledge of English and intermediate knowledge of French are required.
Applications will be accepted from nationals of EUROCONTROL Member States only.
At the closing date of the notice of competition, internal candidates must have completed their probationary period.
The selected candidate will be offered a contract of 3 Year(s) pursuant to the provisions of the Conditions of Employment of Contract Staff at EUROCONTROL. The contract may be renewed. Before being established in the post, he/she will be required to provide certified copies of his/her degrees and successfully serve a probationary period of 9 months.
The successful candidate shall be appointed in principle at the basic grade of the advertised grades.