Conservation Agriculture – FAO – Baghdad, Iraq
Tasks and responsibilities
- Assess the conventional; agriculture practice in the southern governorate of Iraq in general and in the project sites in particular;
- Conduct diagnostic studies in the project area, covering both CA and Agro ecological aspects to identify critical hotpots for the project to pilot CA intervention;
- Undertake benchmarking on international best practices and technologies for CA and AE and deduce lessons learnt especially in countries with similar context as Iraq;
- Undertake comprehensive review of any relevant strategies, and possible policies and regulatory frameworks, assess their implications for CA and AE and document gaps, challenges and opportunities;
- Prepare and update guidelines and support the project in the application of tools and methodologies for the assessment of conservation agriculture and agro ecology and best practices for implementation in demonstration areas;
- Support, through FFS approach in coordination with the extension teams, the implementation of CA and AE good practices in demonstration sites, monitors the pilot demonstration sites and documents the results of the different AC & AE practices tested.
- Undertake assessment of capacity development needs in areas of CA and AE , prepare a need based technical training programme, including training syllabus, modules and sessions, and delivers technical assistance support and capacity development training for the government staff and other relevant stakeholders in addressing CA and AE and wetlands in holistic way.
- Contribute to the development of training modules and sessions to be used for assessments and decision support for mainstreaming CA and AE in related national and sub-national strategies and initiatives;
- Contribute to identification of a relevant country/institution for delivering one-week intensive training program on best practices related to agriculture and wetlands management, including in fields related to agroecology, conservation agriculture, wetlands and integrated water resources management, and the incorporation of wetlands conservation within FFS curriculum and programming;
- Assist in the development of the national agriculture strategy and action plan through consultation with relevant stakeholders, following participatory and multisector approach, and provides guidance for its implementation;
- Advise on responsive partnerships to benefit Iraq in mobilizing investment from both public, private and external funding sources and/or in introducing proven innovation and good practices on CA and AE from other countries of the world;
- Provide support, as needed, to the country in monitoring and reporting on their voluntary Land Degradation Neutrality (LDN) targets;
- Perform other tasks as required by the project.
- Advanced university degree in land management, soil sciences, natural resources.
- At least Five years of relevant work experience in combating desertification and land.
- Working knowledge of English, and limited knowledge of one of the other FAO official languages (French, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Russian).
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
- Hands-on experience and proven records of successfully completing SLM assignments is essential.
- Demonstrated work experience related to successful implementation and management of technical assistance for capacity strengthening in the field of SLM.
- Demonstrated capacity to coordinate country level activities and to organize and
- lead consultative processes involving several partner institutions and stakeholders.
- Demonstrated analytical skills and ability to write clear and concise reports is considered a strong asset.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills and working in multicultural environment.
- Degradation and/or implementation of CA and AE programmes; technical assistance for capacity
- Strengthening in the fields of halting LD and wetland management.
- Management or related fields.
Closing date for applications 08 April 2020 before midnight.
In your application please specify that you found out about this opportunity on GCFjobs.com
Veuillez indiquer dans votre candidature que vous avez consulté cette offre sur le site web GCFjobs.com