Lead the Programmes Finance team and be responsible of the financial management and support of Medair Field Programmes, and of the effective administration of the Field Finance offices through direction, coordination and guidance of Programmes Finance Officers (PFO) and Finance Managers (FM) who are located in the field. Train PFOs in donor financial budgeting and donor financial reporting. Coordinate donor audits, professionally manage support and follow-up in matters that pertain to internal control and financial processes and procedures. Overall responsible for grant management process in close link with Grant Management Coordinator and Team Leader Accounting. Contribute to the professional development of the FIN Department, strategy and annual plan preparation.
Medair Headquarters (HQ) provides operational guidance for country programmes and activities, along with both technical and compassionate support for our relief workers. Within our headquarters, we are also responsible for promoting the work of Medair to the world, to raise and manage the funds needed to run our life-saving and sustaining programmes. Our headquarters teams are also responsible for recruiting international and HQ staff, and like our field teams, we are committed to serve the world’s most vulnerable with practical and compassionate care.
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired and motivated by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure. Internationally recruited field and headquarters staff lead the organisation, supported by nationally recruited staff to implement programmes locally.
Medair Headquarters, Ecublens, near Lausanne, Switzerland
As soon as possible
Initial Contract Details
Full time, open-ended contract
Key Activity Areas
Country Programmes Strategy
- Contribute to the development of Country Programmes strategy by providing financial sustainability, risk and private fund analysis to support informed decision making.
- Advise Programmes dept. on fund management methodology, structure and best ways to optimize use of resources.
- Manage, write, improve all field related financial policies and procedures in order to enhance field financial management.
- Contribute to the development of the annual Programmes Finance Team budget.
- Oversee the financial review of all field budgets including base, project and donor budgets.
- Have the authority to grant and sign refunds and expense disbursements under his responsibility.
- Review and sign all field payment disbursement forms up to his authorization limit.
- Oversee the recording of all capitalized assets used on the field and their annual depreciation.
- Ensure that the field asset inventories are reconciled with the accounting software.
- Overall coordination and control over the quarterly grant closing process.
- Oversee and review all field donor reports to ensure that they reconciled to the accounting software and that they comply with all specific donor requirements.
- Ensure proper donor audit management is in place.
- Supervise and oversee work of Audit Coordinator who deals with audit preparation, management and follow-up on auditor’s recommendations on financial and internal control matters.
- In consultation with the FD, be responsible for job descriptions, hiring of staff, assignment of the team roles, management and supervision of their work, providing training and support whenever needed.
Reports and Analysis
- Provide FD and Management with financial report and analysis as required.
- Ensure reliability of financial information provided in the Portfolio system.
- Train PFO in the preparation of tailored reports to various stakeholders and for different purposes.
International Headquarters – Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the vision and values of Medair with team members, international team members, and external contacts.
- Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Work and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings.
- Instigate and contribute to prayer times within internationally recruited staff and HQ teams.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international programmes and HQ prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks and conveys the spirit of the sort of tasks that are anticipated proactively from staff. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organisational needs.
- Degree in Finance & Accounting or combination of accounting studies and relevant experience
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written)
- Working knowledge of French (spoken and written) an asset
Experience / Competencies
- Minimum of 5 years management experience with strong accounting drive preferably in Non-Government Organization sector
- Grant budgeting/reporting experience is an asset
- Previous work experience with NGO overseas desirable
- Good understanding of Fund Accounting
- Organised, able to prioritise and meet deadlines, efficient use of time
Profiles sought for International Headquarters staff
- Experienced Relief Workers and those without field experience
- Experienced professionals in a relevant Medair sector of expertise
- Overseas intercultural work experience desirable
- Fully committed to the Medair values; to reflect the vision and values of Medair with team members, international team members, and external contacts
- Able to work in a multicultural team
- Strong character traits, including emotional stability, adaptability, ability to handle stress, cultural and gender sensitivity, and honesty
- Swiss or eligible EU citizens, or those with a valid work permit for Switzerland
- For more senior / technical roles, some other nationalities may be eligible to apply
What benefits does Medair provide for International Headquarters Staff?
- Salary commensurate with the pay-grade of the position
- Annual leave; Accident insurance and pension
- Death and disability insurance; Health insurance for loss of earnings
- A motivating work environment
- The opportunity to work in a Christian organisation where your contributions make a difference for the world’s most vulnerable