I. Post Information
Post Title: Head of Support Services
Organizational Unit: Operational Hub/Operations Centre
Supervisor/ Grade: Operational Hub Director/Operations Centre Director
II. Functions / Key Results Expected
- Advisory and technical support
- Project planning and coordination support
- Financial management
- Human resource management
- Administration and Information Technology
- Knowledge management and innovation
1. Advisory and technical support
- Contribute to the formulation of Operational Hub/Operations Centre strategies and policies through advisory services to the Operational Hub/Operations Centre Director.
- Provide technical advice and operational guidance on innovative approaches to project financing, risk assessment/mitigation and use of financing structures, mechanisms instruments and guarantees.
- Collaborate with colleagues to identify the need, determine cost and plan all Operational Hub/Operations Centre support services, including procurement, finance, human resources and administrative services.
- Assist the Director in setting goals, targets and performance standards for projects, and recommend tools for monitoring, evaluation and auditing
- Monitor and supervise all aspects of operations to ensure compliance with corporate strategies, UNOPS rules, regulations, policies, and standards of accountability, ethics and integrity and achievement of results.
- Monitor support services to ensure optimum client service and satisfaction, including liaising with appropriate Head Quarters Practice Groups for required support.
- At the request of the Operational Hub/Operations Centre Director participate in any UN forum discussions and planning to ensure UNOPS position, interests and priorities are fully considered.
- Act as focal point for any internal/external audit exercise.
2. Project planning and coordination support
- Provide assistance and support to programme and project budget preparation, revisions and work planning.
- Provide input into project engagement and acceptance documents including assisting with contract negotiations.
- Provide advice on goal setting, targets and performance standards for projects and recommend tools for monitoring, evaluation and auditing.
- Monitor project financial projections, take decisions and/or refer critical issues to the Operational Hub/Operations Centre Director and/or other stakeholders for action.
- Provide advice on programme and project cost sharing, deployment of funds and closure.
- Constantly monitor and analyse the operating environment to identify potential risks and take action/refer critical issues for intervention to ensure delivery of results.
- Closely liaise with the Field Offices (within the OH/OC) in order to troubleshoot any issues that might cause interruption in the support services management.
- Oversee and supervise Operational Hub/Operations Centre procurement processes, including tendering processes and evaluation and supplier selection, to ensure viable procurement solutions that meet operational needs and compliance with UNOPS procurement procedures, regulations and standard of accountability, ethics, integrity and performance.
- Evaluate contractual arrangements and legal commitments/risks for appropriate action.
- Oversee the efficiency and integrity of the procurement evaluation process to ensure cost-effective procurement of goods and services.
- In consultation with relevant colleague, review, administer and issue contracts, agreements/amendments with institutions and UN agencies.
- Oversee the logistics of goods and equipment on project sites to confirm delivery and safe warehousing.
- Evaluate, list, update and monitor the performance of the roster of service providers of suitable firms or institutions
4. Financial management
- Prepare the Operational Hub/Operations Centre financial plan and manage the budget process/cycle to ensure timely revisions and reallocation of funds.
- Oversee Finance Unit and ensure compliance with the UNOPS/Financial Rules & Regulations and Finance procedures
- Monitor, track and control expenditure to ensure optimum and appropriate use of resources.
- Ensure the availability of required financial reports and exception reports including investigating anomalies to resolve problems, reporting or recommending any action required to relevant stakeholders.
- Supervise the timely review, posting and closure of accounts. Certify/verify accuracy and compliance with standards of accountability framework. Submit/prepare mandated report on financial status.
- Supervise all financial services (accounting, cash management, payments etc.) ensuring timeliness and compliance with standards of accountability and performance.
- Monitor the Management Budget expenditures for the OH/OC and ensure that LMDC (Locally Managed Direct Cost) is properly recovered, billed and spent in accordiance with the applicable procedures;
5. Human resource management
- Plan personnel required for Operational Hub/Operations Centre programmes/projects. Oversee all human resource services/processes including recruitment, salary administration and compensation, performance review, training and development, ensuring compliance with human resource rules, regulations, procedures and standards of performance and ensuring that hiring managers actively seek to create diverse teams in terms of gender and geography. Promote and support a learning culture by empowering individuals and teams to identify critical learning needs and plan/provide easy access to learning opportunities to maintain personnel competency and flexibility. Foster a positive work environment, respectful of both men and women, and ensure that the highest standards of conduct are observed. Exercise control of all staffing issues within the OH/OC as required by the projects’ demands including recruitment, training, staff performance review
6. Administration and Information Technology
- In close collaboration with Headquarters, support maintenance of a secure and reliable ICT environment, including adequate plans for disaster recovery.
- Manage the acquisition, maintenance, inventory, recording, verification and protection of project and administrative facilities/assets, including IT infrastructure, equipment and servers.
- Identify opportunities for leveraging the use of IT to enhance business operations and efficiency and to facilitate knowledge management, and information sharing.
- Manage the timely and efficient delivery of all administrative services, (e.g. premises, asset management, organizational and personnel security, travel and IT).
7. Knowledge management and innovation
- Contribute to the development and introduction of innovation to ensure UNOPS is continually incorporating best practice approaches in Operational Hub/Operations Centre support services.
- Contribute to the dissemination and sharing of best practices and lessons learned for corporate development planning and knowledge building.
- At the request of the Operational Hub/Operations Centre Director and in collaboration with the team, plan, implement and organise strategic capacity building of project personnel, clients and stakeholders.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards.
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNOPS.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
- Ability to build effective working relationships with clients and to achieve results in a responsible and collaborative manner.
- Ability to communicate ideas and concept clearly and convincingly.
- Ability to go beyond established procedures and models and to manage complex situations to resolve issues and deliver results.
IV. Recruitment Qualifications
Education: A Master’s degree in public administration, social science, project management or other relevant related field is required. A combination of Bachelor’s degree with an additional 2 years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the education requirements outlined above.
Experience: A minimum of 7 years of progressively responsible experience covering at least two of the following operations functions: Procurement, Finance, Logistics/ Asset Management and Human Resources. Knowledge of the other functions is desirable.
Experience in UN system organizations preferably in a developing country is an asset.
Working experience with UN regulations, rules and policies in the areas of contracting, procurement and human resources is desirable.
A minimum of 3 years of leadership experience, including a proven track record managing personnel and operational systems.
Language Requirements: Full working knowledge of English/French/Spanish/Arabic is essential.
Knowledge of another official UNOPS language is an asset
V. Organizational Context
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. UNOPS supports partners to build a better future by providing services that increase the efficiency, effectiveness and sustainability of peace building, humanitarian and development projects. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations,
UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organizations. With over 9,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, where they need it. By implementing around 1,000 projects for our partners at any given time, UNOPS makes significant contributions to results on the ground, often in the most challenging environments.
The Head of Support Services reports to the Operational Hub Director/Operations Centre Director, who provides general guidance and supervision. The role is responsible for providing an efficient and integrated support service for the Operational Hub/Operations Centre. For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspx
Please note the above is a ‘Profile’ and does not constitute a specific current vacancy.