Grade: For Junior (P2) and Mid (P3) Level PositionsThe United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is mandated to lead and coordinate international action to protect and assist refugees and other persons of concern. It is constantly seeking talented, compassionate candidates with high-integrity to strengthen its capacity to respond urgently to crises with the right skills. Given the nature of UNHCR’s work, it is essential that its workforce has the right mix of skills and qualities to fulfill its mandate. In this regard, the ICT Unit at UNHCR is looking for talented individuals for the ICT Infrastructure Division to compliment the team.
Typical functions may include:
- Participate/develop (as appropriate) in the assessment of operational and security infrastructure needs in each UNHCR office in the region.
- Supervise the implementation of the ICT operations plan and thereafter ensure that all equipment is in good working conditions at all times as to meet the ICT needs of the offices in the region.
- Discuss infrastructure needs with the Head of offices in the Area of Responsibility (AOR) and provide input for the budget submission.
- Monitor and coordinate the work of other ICT staff as directed by the Head of Offices in accordance with the standards set by Headquarter.
- Maintain an up-to-date inventory of all infrastructure equipment under AOR.
- Assist and advise offices in the recruiting, provide coaching, and training to ICT staff and users.
- Draft procedures and instructions to promote a better understanding of the use of the ICT equipment.
- Participate in the assessment of security related projects in coordination with the Field Security Advisor and assist in the formulation of recommendations for security communications.
- Promote relation with UNHCR Partners to enhance communication and avoid duplication of efforts.
- Liaise with the National Regulatory Authority to ensure that licenses and permissions required to operate UNHCR Networks are granted.
- Liaise directly with end users to clarify, analyse and resolve reported issues, delivering high standards of customer service.
General Requirements for both levels:
- Knowledge of radio systems.
- Knowledge of LAN configuration and network implementation and LAN installation and support
- Knowledge of different satellite and terrestrial communications and network systems.
Minimum Qualification and Professional Experience Required
For Positions at the P2 level
- Education: (Advanced) University degree in Information Systems, Telecommunication or related fields.
- Job experience: Minimum of 2 years previous job experience in the ICT support with a Master’s Degree or 4 years with a Bachelor’s Degree.
- Hands-on experience with wireless and VOIP systems and knowledge of Windows 2000/2003 Server, Linux Server, and network monitoring software an asset.
For Positions at the P3 level
- Education: (Advanced) University degree in Information Systems, Telecommunications or related fields.
- Job experience: Minimum of 6 years previous job experience in the ICT support with a Master’s Degree or 8 years with a Bachelor’s Degree – (at least 2 years in an inter-governmental organization, such as the UN).
- Possess relevant experience to promote a competent and motivated workforce trained to understand and use infrastructure facilities, who are aware of the correct procedures and practices.
- Experience in identifying ways to continually improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the infrastructure and its support with their region.