Application closing date: 15 February 2019
Are you a seasoned investment management professional with a strong network in the banking and corporate sector in the Caribbean? How about leveraging your expertise joining a multilateral finance institution?
We are looking for an experienced professional for the Financial Institutions Division (FLI) of the Investment Operations Department (INO).
INO follows a matrix model, with three Segment Divisions covering Infrastructure and Energy, Financial Institutions and Corporates, and three transversal areas such as the Financial Products and Services Division (responsible for the capital market solutions, financing solutions for funds, equity and trade and supply chain finance); the Advisory Services and Blended Finance Team; and the Portfolio Management Division.
Our division supports Financial Institutions (FIs) through debt and equity financing, guarantees, and knowledge to promote economic development, job creation and the adoption of sustainable environmental, social and corporate governance principles.
What you’ll do:
- Lead the identification, selection, origination and execution of FIs transactions in IDB Invest Caribbean member countries (Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Dominican Republic, Guyana, Haiti, Jamaica, Suriname, and Trinidad & Tobago) that are consistent with the IDB Invest’s operating policies.
- Lead the evaluation of both lending and non-lending projects, including, but not limited to, the initial screening of project applications, evaluation of feasibility studies, and preparation of concept notes, assessing project risks and advising on appropriate risk mitigation actions.
- Conduct appraisal meetings to gather the necessary technical, legal, economic and financial information to assess the merits of potential investment opportunities as required.
- Coordinate with product experts in areas such as trade finance and capital markets, as well as with the environmental, social and governance safeguards, finance, development effectiveness, legal, and risk functions as it relates to project structuring and closing of deals.
- Lead industry and market research FIs to guide the business origination and execution efforts aligned with the investment strategy of IDB Invest and its mandate for the private sector.
- Maintain knowledge of the financial markets and FI transactions. Handle preparation of lessons learned from projects. Disseminate information to project teams on transaction strengths, weaknesses, risks and mitigation options.
- Play a meaningful role in promoting IDB Invest by developing key relationships in the private sector development communities, liaising with industry authorities, potential clients, partners and stakeholders. Generate new business opportunities.
- Cross-sell with Caribbean banks the products and services of the two other IDB Invest origination divisions: corporate lending and infrastructure.
- Provide leadership, coaching, mentoring and support to more junior team members.
What skills you’ll need:
Education: An advanced degree (at least Master’s, MBA, or equivalent) in Finance, Business Administration, International Development, or other relevant fields.
- At least 6-8 years of relevant experience in investment origination, structuring or portfolio management with a shown track-record in FIs.
- Experience working with both debt and equity participation would be highly desirable.
- Understanding client needs and challenges, market idiosyncrasies, and drivers of change in the Caribbean is highly valued.
- Strong financial modelling/valuation and analytical skills is a plus.
Language: Deep understanding in English and Spanish; good working knowledge of French is desirable.