Description of Duties
- Ensure a flow of regular and complete information on the status of the activities planned and implemented between the Project team in Sudan, the ILO CO Addis Ababa and backstopping technical specialists; as well as with the Government of Japan and external partners in compliance with the requirements set out in the project document;
- To develop operational working relationships with the key partners in the Transitional Government of Sudan, national actors and direct and indirect beneficiaries of the project in the field of employment intensive investments, specifically the labour based construction unit under the Ministry of Labour;
- Assist in the monitoring and coordination of research carried out by external collaborators and implementing partners;
- Provide technical support for the implementation and monitoring of employment intensive works, with a view to strengthening the capacities of the various indirect beneficiaries, involved in the project (e.g. Ministry of Labour and Social Development (MoLSD), Ministry of Health (MoH), Ministry of Infrastructure’s Urban Planning Unit (MoI), Ministry of Water Resources, sewer systems unit (MoWR) as well as micro-finance institutions, local banks, and local communities);
- Ensure consistent technical support to the project, including in the formulation of reports, work plans, procurement plans, monitoring and reporting frameworks and project implementation in collaboration with the National Project Coordinator, the ILO Office in Addis Ababa and the relevant technical specialists of the responsible Decent Work Team based in Mogadishu/Cairo;
- To support the Ministry of Labour and Social Development’s Labour Based Construction Unit in the coordination of employment intensive works and economic integration and local development through the identification of infrastructure development priorities and the formulation of new project proposals(including outside of Khartoum);
- Track project results highlighting the ILO’s contribution and advocate for capacity building of constituents, technical and financial partners on employment intensive investments, skills development and occupational safety and health;
- Ensure that the processes for preparing for implementation, including drawing up technical specifications, drafting bidding documents for procurement and identifying service providers and local contractors comply with ILO regulations;
- Provide inputs to promote and contribute to South-South communication, knowledge sharing and cooperation with other ILO projects related to the Employment-Intensive Investment Programme, the Jobs for Peace and Resilience flagship programme, and other relevant areas around the world, particularly in Africa;
- Participate in the organization of conferences, seminars, workshops, training sessions and meetings in collaboration with the technical support of experts and represent the project in various meetings, including technical working group committee meetings;
- Contribute to the Country Offices resource mobilization efforts and carry out other tasks as requested by the Country Director;
First Level University Degree in Civil Engineering or Social Development, or other related fields.
Atleast five years of relevant work experience at national level and at least three years at international level in managing rural infrastructure projects in challenging environment in collaboration with governments of developing countries, with donor agencies and a heterogeneous teams of consultants, experts and collaborators. Knowledge in employment intensive investment programmes, civil works, skills development, OHS and WASH, familiarity with the rules and procedures of the ILO or the United Nations System in the field of development cooperation is an advantage.
Fluency in written and spoken English. Knowledge of Arabic is an added advantage.