Purpose of the post
The ICRC is an impartial, neutral and independent organization whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance.
The ICRC’s Internal Audit Unit is one of the organization’s statutory bodies charged with exercising general oversight. It is independent of the Directorate and reports directly to the Assembly. Its scope covers the entire ICRC.
Internal Audit assesses the extent to which the ICRC is in control of its activities and the effectiveness and adequacy of the ICRC’s risk-management, internal control and oversight processes at headquarters and in delegations.
As a Senior staff and a member of a team of ten, you will be called upon to perform the following tasks on the basis of the International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing:
- Conduct audits at headquarters and in delegations :
- Following a risk assessment, define the scope of the audit
- Assess the management, risk processes and internal control systems
- Assess that the organisation’s resources are acquired in an economical manner, used efficiently and are adequately safeguarded
- Assess the processes that enable the ICRC to achieve its objectives
- Ensure consideration is given to security, both for persons and for material objects
- Verify compliance with applicable laws, policies, rules and procedures
- Issue a report with recommendations and follow up on them
- Contribute to help nurture good practice sharing throughout the organisation
- Interact and communicate with a wide range of internal and external hierarchies, including top levels
- IT related audit activities will occupy a maximum of 30% of this post
Profile and experience required
- University degree or equivalent with a minimum of 10 years of professional experience, including a minimum of 5 years of experience as generalist internal auditor, or a minimum of 3 years as IT auditor.
- Professional certification in internal or external audit (e.g. CIA, CPA, “Expert comptable”, CFE, CISA an advantage).
- Professional certifications related to IT processes (e.g. ITIL, Agile, DevOps) an asset.
- Experience in the humanitarian sector is an asset.
- Excellent French and English (proficiency in another language would be an asset),
- Sound personal and professional integrity and affinity for humanitarian activities,
- Excellent communication, presentation and writing skills,
- Ability to develop and maintain a high-quality working relationship with a wide range of contacts (good interpersonal skills),
- Ability to work within a team but also independently in varying cultural/language environments,
- Common sense and objectivity,
- Ability to set objectives and establish priorities so as to achieve a high degree of organizational quality,
- Ability to apply rules and methods consistently,
- Discretion, rigor and attention to details,
- Ability to analyse complex relationships in the context of the big picture and provide pragmatic recommandations,
- Finance and Information systems literacy,
- Desire to work in a multicultural humanitarian environment.
Ability to undertake field missions at minimum 30% working time (included difficult contexts)
Type of contract: open-ended
Length of assignment: 4 years
Starting date: to be agreed
Working rate: 80-100%
Application deadline: June 4th 2017
Follow the hashtag #ICRCcareers on twitter for updates on new career opportunities