Intern – Migration Policy Research – Geneva, Switzerland
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Assist with desk-based research tasks and communications/dissemination activities to support the preparation of research papers and reports for publication on a range of migration topics, including for the World Migration Report and the Migration Research Series.
- Assist with the preparation of regular contributions for the research section of IOM’s website, IOM’s intranet and the Division’s internal newsletters.
- Assist in the development of research project documentation, such as concept notes, project proposals, donor agreements and project reporting.
- Assist with the preparation and conduct of the migration expert speaker series in HQ.
- Respond to internal and external research queries as required.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Training Components and Learning Elements
The successful candidate will improve his/her knowledge of migration, research and writing skills in the specific context of an intergovernmental organization. He/she will be able to learn from both internal and external experts on migration at diverse occasions, including through the Division’s Migration Research seminar series, and to enhance his/her written and oral communication skills with diverse stakeholders.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in a field of study related to migration or other relevant social sciences courses (e.g. humanitarian affairs, development studies, political science, international relations or a related field) from an accredited academic institution with relevant professional experience.
- Background in migration or strong understanding of migration issues;
- Good experience in research and writing, including a record of publishing on aspects of migration;
- Practical experience in how to multi-task, prioritize and work independently.
- For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French, Spanish or other language is an advantage.