Requisition ID: req3549
Job Title: HR Associate, Northern California
Sector: Human Resources
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Location: USA-Oakland, CA
IRC Summary: The IRC in Northern California was established in 1975 in response to the needs of the growing refugee population. Over the past 40 years the IRC has resettled nearly 60,000 clients in Northern California. While originally focused on reception and placement, the IRC now provides a range of services including economic empowerment, immigration, community gardening, wellness programming, and case management for survivors of trafficking.
Job Overview: Under the direction of the Executive Director and in close coordination with the Regional HR Partner, Pacific West, the HR Associate provides HR administrative support to the Northern California region. S/he serves as the region’s main HR professional and coordinates with IRC subject matter experts in HQ to ensure that human resources matters for staff are addressed and resolved.
- Performs a wide range of transactional duties relative to the maintenance and processing of HR records;
- Provides clerical and operational support on human resources matters;
- Performs customer-service duties by answering employee requests and questions and directing their issues to the appropriate subject matter experts;
- Completes I-9s for new hires and other miscellaneous new hire paperwork and sends them to HQ for processing.
- Assists with the performance review process;
- Provides management and staff in NorCal offices with accurate and knowledgeable advice on HR IRC policies and procedures;
- Coordinates employee status changes, leaves of absence and separations with Regional HR Partner and Headquarters, completing all necessary forms to accompany these actions;
- Maintains employee directories and NorCal offices’ organizational charts;
- In coordination with HQ HR, facilitates all aspects of recruitment. Maintains standardized job description templates for core positions across the region, working in close consultation with HQ HR;
- In coordination with supervisors, supports time and effort reporting. Ensures management and employees have accurate PTO balances to make appropriate staffing decisions;
- Provides New Hire Orientations for staff;
- Manages the background check procedures for occasional staff, volunteers and independent contractors; and
- Other duties as assigned.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Executive Director Indirect Reporting: Regional HR Partner, Pacific West Other Internal and/or external contacts: HQ Human Resources, Site Managers, Deputy Directors
- Undergraduate degree with an emphasis on Human Resources related training. Graduate degree preferred.
- At least two years’ of relevant work experience with exposure to Human Resources strongly preferred.
- Experience working with diverse team preferred.
- Proven ability to contribute both independently and as a key team member.
- Self- starter with excellent problem solving skills combined with the proven ability to multi-task, prioritize duties, and manage time effectively.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Valid Driver’s License and ability to use own car for transportation preferred.
- Some travel to other regional offices (Turlock, Modesto, Sacramento or Oakland, San Jose) required less than 20% time.
- Standard office environment.
- Ability to safely lift 25 lbs.