FLSA STATUS: Exempt
POSITION TITLE: Civil Society Team Lead
REPORTS TO: Chief of Party
LOCATION: Amman, Jordan
IREX seeks qualified candidates to provide management and general technical direction to civil-society focused activities under an anticipated two-year extension for the USAID-funded Jordan Gender Program, Takamol. For five years, USAID Takamol has focused on mainstreaming gender at policy, national, and community levels. Takamol’s objectives are to expand social dialogue on gender equality and strengthen enforcement and advocacy for female empowerment. USAID Takamol delivers support mechanisms, in-kind assistance, training, and/or grants to build the capacity national and grassroots organizations including civil society, research institutions, and government ministries, as well as support USAID Implementing Partners achieve gender equity and female empowerment.
The Civil Society Team Lead will be based in Amman, Jordan and manage a team of approximately 3-5 people focused on supporting civil society and research partners advocacy on policy and legislative reform. The Team Lead will be responsible for designing several small grants pools working with partners at both national and grassroots level.
Citizens/residents of Jordan are highly encouraged to apply. This position is contingent on funding.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide management and general technical direction to civil-society focused activities, including managing implementation plans and working with staff to identify risks and overcome implementation challenges;
- Ensure close coordination with the Government Team Lead, in order to connect civil society priorities and expertise to supporting gender audits of public sector strategies and services;
- Develop and maintain effective partnerships across a wide range of civil society, including research partners, monitoring organizations, advocacy groups, and service-oriented organizations;
- Identify capacity-building and technical assistance needs of partners, and find ways to address those needs;
- Ensure high quality reporting, documentation, and contributions to monitoring and evaluation;
- Coordinate on the budgeting and financial management of the team’s activities;
- Ensure project activities are implemented on schedule and at high-technical quality;
- Supervise, manage, and develop project staff to be an effective and high-performing team;
- Other duties, as assigned
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in related field required; Master’s degree preferred;
- Minimum 5-7 years of progressive international experience working in civil society strengthening, civic engagement, human rights, or related field, with experience working on women’s rights or gender mainstreaming strongly preferred;
- Demonstrated experience increasing civil society’s participation in public policy and designing targeted advocacy strategies.
- Successful track record of designing activities; Experience designing and managing subgrants preferred; Experience delivering training preferred;
- Ability to establish strong working relationships civil society, researchers, donors, and other stakeholders;
- Proven leadership qualities and excellent management skills;
- Demonstrated ability plan both strategically and creatively to meet project objectives;
- Strong understanding of the political, economic, and social landscape in Jordan; required, as well as of the current issues facing the advancement of gender equality;
- Proven experience producing high quality reporting and/or communications materials capturing impact;
- Strong representational and organizational skills;
- Proficiency in English and the ability to write at an advanced level in English required; Fluency in Arabic highly preferred.