In the context of the Justice and Security Dialogues program of the United States Institute of Peace (USIP), the JSD Country Officer (CO) for Tunisia, in consultation with the JSD Regional Program Coordinator, is responsible for closely monitoring, supporting, and ensuring quality of implementation of the JSD process in Tunisia. This is a local position based in the USIP Middle East and North Africa (MENA) Office in Tunis. The role requires supporting implementing partners in direct implementation, continuously developing relationships with institutional and local stakeholders; and implementing, monitoring and reporting on JSD project activities in Tunisia.
This position reports to the JSD Regional Program Coordinator, who is responsible for overall strategic direction of JSD activities in-country, ensuring quality of implementation, monitoring and reporting, partnership-building with relevant stakeholders, and training, mentoring and coaching of the Country Officer, as needed. The position will also work in collaboration with USIP colleagues at HQ and in the MENA Office.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support when and as needed, in close collaboration with the implementing partner, the implementation of JSD activities in Tunisia;
- Work with the implementing partner to ensure activities are implemented on schedule;
- Coordinate the organization of operational meetings, dialogues, in-country trainings and other activities as needed by the JSD team;
- In close consultation with the Regional Program Coordinator, mentor and coach the dialogue implementing partner through the JSD process in Tunisia;
- Review all technical and financial reporting from implementing partners, provide guidance as needed, and liaise with the Regional Program Coordinator to ensure timely submission of all required materials;
- Observe and support project activities and cultivate relationships across Tunisia;
- In close consultation with the Regional Program Coordinator, continuously develop relationships with institutional and national-level stakeholders;
- Provide regular detailed updates on JSD activities to the Regional Program Coordinator and DC team;
- Perform systems mapping, data collection and empirical research that supports the JSD process and can feed into publications and the national-level policy discussion;
- Support the Regional Program Coordinator in development of reports, policy guidance, or political analysis as needed;
- Coordinate with teammates and support the regional JSD network as needed;
- Be available to travel at the national or regional level, as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- BA in relevant field (international relations, conflict resolution, human rights or development). MA preferred;
- Professional experience in rule of law, security sector reform, peacebuilding or similar field in Tunisia; preferably 5 years of paid working experience.
- A varied track record of working with security forces and civil society in Tunisia is preferred;
- Demonstrated experience coordinating with officials in government and collaborating with local partner organizations;
- Strong interest in and experience with innovative programming;
- Demonstrated project design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills;
- Fluency in Arabic and French is required. Good command of English is preferred.