Application closing date: 20 August 2o18
You will be part of the Legislation Division in the Directorate General Legal Services. The Division is responsible for preparing the ECB’s legal acts in the official EU languages, for drafting legal documents and ensuring their legal, linguistic and terminological consistency, and for publishing and disseminating the ECB’s legal framework and other legal publications.
In your role as a Lawyer-Linguist with Maltese as your main language, you will be responsible primarily for translating ECB legal acts and other legal texts from English into Maltese and for revising translations of such texts provided by external suppliers. The documents relate to both central banking and banking supervision. You will work closely with other lawyer-linguists and lawyers in the Directorate General Legal Services, as well as staff from a variety of other ECB business areas. You may also be asked to contribute to the legal knowledge management function in the Directorate General Legal Services.
We are willing to discuss the possibility of working remotely.
As a Lawyer-Linguist you will:
- translate draft ECB legal acts and other legal documents from English into Maltese;
- translate documents related to court proceedings from English into Maltese;
- revise Maltese translations of ECB legal acts and other legal documents;
- translate legal texts from Maltese into English for internal working purposes, and revise translations from Maltese into English of national laws, documents related to court proceedings and other legal documents;
- contribute to the drafting of ECB legal acts;
- contribute to the coordination of the work of the team of lawyer-linguists on multilingual translation projects;
- liaise with counterparts in the ECB, the Central Bank of Malta and other relevant European and national institutions;
- cooperate with freelance lawyer-linguists, including establishing and maintaining contacts, training and information-sharing;
- contribute, as required, to the legal knowledge management function in the Directorate General Legal Services and to the general legal work of the ECB.
The position offers you excellent opportunities to contribute to the legislative quality of ECB legal acts. You will be part of a multicultural team that strives for continuous innovation to make a positive impact on the lives of European citizens.
Qualifications, experience and skills
- a mastery-level command of Maltese, which should be your main language;
- a mastery-level command of English;
- a master’s degree or equivalent (read more) in law obtained at the University of Malta or issued by a university outside of Malta which has been recognised in Malta as equivalent;
- professional experience in translating legal, financial or economic texts from Maltese into English gained inter alia by working as a lawyer in a multilingual law firm;
- professional experience in drafting and/or translating legislation;
- professional experience as a (freelance) lawyer-linguist, preferably with an EU institution;
- good knowledge of EU law and financial law;
- an intermediate command of a third official language of the EU.
You engage collaboratively with others. You pursue team goals and learn willingly from other people’s diverse perspectives. You signal any need for change by explaining it and proposing alternative solutions. You analyse complex information effectively and can evaluate different views to arrive at solutions. You know and anticipate stakeholder needs.
The recruitment process for this position may include a remote written exercise or a pre-recorded video interview at the pre-selection stage and – if you are invited to participate further in the selection procedure – an on-site written exercise and interviews.