Application closing date: 25 October 2018
Primary Location: Netherlands-The Hague
NATO Body: NATO Communications and Information Agency (NCI Agency)
Salary (Pay Basis): 8,127.10Euro (EUR) Monthly
This is a position within the NATO Communications and Information Agency (NCI Agency), an organization of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO).
The NCI Agency is made up of teams of dedicated people from 29 different nations who are technology experts in their chosen fields. Our collective role is to help protect the lives of 1 billion people and contribute to maintaining world peace.
Directorate Air and Missile Defence Command and Control (AMDC2), as part of the NCI Agency, ensures the harmonised planning, implementation, deployment, evolution and support of the Air Command and Control System (ACCS) and other AirC2 assigned programmes, in a way that satisfies the operational requirements and minimizes the military risk, taking into account the NATO political, economic and schedule requirements and using the most suitable industrial and technological solutions. Directorate AMDC2 is the procurement and implementation body of the NCI Agency, charged with the effective planning, execution, delivery into service, evolution and through-life logistic support of NATO’s and assigned national AirC2 systems.
The Engineering Branch provides estimates of the required effort for each project / task, staff, plan, allocates and manages engineering resources according to agreed priorities. The branch is responsible for overall design to ensure and harmonize the integrity, technical coherence and interoperability across all AirC2-related projects throughout product lifecycles (requirements, design, implementation, test support and site support). It maintains close coordination with Service Strategy and other key stakeholders
We are looking for a talented Section Chief (Software Engineering) / PSE
Under the direction of Chief Engineering Branch, you will perform duties such as the following:
- Develop, maintain and communicate a vision for the section;
- Maintain a high-level technical knowledge of the AMDC2 software, technical architecture, requirements management, design, software integration and associated technologies, tools and processes;
- Help develop appropriate, feasible and cost effective AMDC2 Programme of Work (POW) in-line with the technical vision;
- Develop and maintain the required software engineering work force in line with required skillsets and capacity by:
- Recruit sufficient and appropriately qualified staff;
- Actively coach and develop training plans for Engineering Staff and develop Knowledge Transfer plans;
- Identify the need for, selecting and managing consultants;
- Assess military staff members proposed by nations;
- Perform day-to-day management of staff and complete the annual performance management cycle for staff;
- Estimate workload and allocate staff to required Project work in project teams;
- Monitor and advise on improvement of software/data engineering processes;
- Ensure adequate support of technical software engineering activities for internal and in-service support development in the areas of software change management, impact assessment and functional and non-functional requirements analysis;
- Ensure maintenance of software/data products in the areas of requirements, design, development, integration and testing;
- Ensure adequate definition and operation of development facilities, simulators and tools;
- Create and maintain technical documentation;
- Provide software/data engineering guidance to internal and external stakeholders (such committees, working groups, NATO and National agencies and commands etc.);
- Deputize for higher grade staff, if required;
- Performs other duties as may be required.
We are looking for candidates with a Master of Science (MSc) degree or a Bachelor of Science (BSc) degree in a technical subject with substantial Information Technology (IT) or in a related discipline or exceptionally, the lack of a degree may be compensated by a lower academic qualification combined with the demonstration of particular abilities or experience of relevance to this post, or with a military experience in the Air C2 specific communications; and 15 years post-related experience.
In addition to 8 years of experience (Master’s Degree) or 10 years of experience (Bachelor’s Degree) in the duties related to the function of the post, we also require the following:
- Proven experience in the leadership and management of a team of engineers;
- Recent practical experience in managing software engineering activities on large mission critical software intensive systems;
- Knowledge of software architectures, operating systems, deployment infrastructure and network concepts;
- Knowledge of software engineering related methods, techniques, metrics and tools;
- Knowledge of software development, maintenance, integration and deployment concepts;
- Knowledge of database management systems and data management concepts.
- The following will be considered as an advantage
- Experience in software engineering of AirC2, air traffic control, command and control, data acquisition or real-time scientific processing systems.
- Experience of geographically distributed software maintenance with industry partners.
- Knowledge of software quality and configuration management concepts.
- Prior experience of working with military and civilian elements preferably in an international environment.
- Knowledge of NATO responsibilities and organization, including Allied Command Operations and Allied Command Transformation.
- The ability and experience to brief international audiences.
We are looking for a person who demonstrates the following behavioural competencies:
- Deciding and Initiating Action – Takes responsibility for actions, projects and people; takes initiative and works under own direction; initiates and generates activity and introduces changes into work processes; makes quick, clear decisions which may include tough choices or considered risks.
- Leading and Supervising – Provides others with a clear direction; motivates and empowers others; recruits staff of a high calibre; provides staff with development opportunities and coaching; sets appropriate standards of behaviour.
- Working with People – Shows respect for the views and contributions of other team members; shows empathy; listens, supports and cares for others; consults others and shares information and expertise with them; builds team spirit and reconciles conflict; adapts to the team and fits in well.
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts – Works strategically to realise organisational goals; sets and develops strategies; identifies, develops positive and compelling visions of the organisation’s future potential; takes account of a wide range of issues across, and related to, the organisation.
- Planning and Organising – Sets clearly defined objectives; plans activities and projects well in advance and takes account of possible changing circumstances; identifies and organises resources needed to accomplish tasks; manages time effectively; monitors performance against deadlines and milestones.
Business travel to NATO and national (NATO and non-NATO) facilities as well as frequent travel between the NCIA offices; May be required to undertake duty travel to operational theatres inside and outside NATO boundaries.
A thorough knowledge of one of the two NATO languages, both written and spoken, is essential and some knowledge of the other is desirable. NOTE: Most of the work of the NCI Agency is conducted in the English language.