Application closing date: 31 October 2o18
Primary Location: Belgium-Brussels
NATO Body: SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY ORGANIZATION (STO)
Salary (Pay Basis): 7,693.25Euro (EUR) Monthly
The mission of the NATO Science and Technology Organization (STO) is to help position the Nations and NATO’s S&T investments as a strategic enabler of the knowledge and technical advantage for the defence and security posture of NATO Nations and partner Nations.
As described in the STO Charter, the Office of the Chief Scientist is one of the executive bodies of the STO. The Specific functions of the Office of the Chief Scientist are to provide executive and administrative support to the Chief Scientist is his/her roles as chairperson of theScience and Technology Board (STB) and as the senior scientific advisor toNATO leadership.
The Staff Officer, S&T Advice provides support to the Chief Scientist in his/her role of scientific advisor.
2. Qualifications And Experience
- Knowledge of Science and Technology / Research and Development organisations.
- Knowledge of analytical tools and methods;
- Knowledge of Science and Technology / Research and Development programmes and activities within NATO member states’ S&T communities;
- Broad knowledge of how military technology is developed and deployed;
- A significant previous experience, minimum 7 years, of working in a Science & Technology environment in different roles;
- The incumbent is expected to have 3-year experience in working in an international environment having demonstrated the capability of working in a multinational and multicultural environment with scientific and military personnel at all levels. This pertains in particular to NATO or comparable organizations.
A master’s degree in a scientific domain of interest to defence and/or security ismandatory. Exceptionally, the lack of a master’s degree may be compensated by the demonstration of particular abilities or experience of interest to the Alliance; Must have sufficient professional experience in the same or related career field at various levels of responsibility.
The incumbent must possess the following minimum levels of NATO’s official languages (English/French): V (“Advanced”) in English; and I (“Beginner”) in French.The work in the STO is mainly conducted in the English language; Higher level (II or above) of French and/or knowledge of other NATO Nations’ language(s) is considered as an asset.
Standard Automated Data Processing (Adp) Knowledge
Proficiency in office word processing, spreadsheet, graphics presentations and database software.
- Advanced knowledge of spreadsheet and database software;
- Experience in Operations Research and Analysis;
- Experience in the provision of Advice.
3. Main Accountabilities
The role of the Staff Officer S&TAdvice is essential to support the Chief Scientist in his functions of Scientific Advisor to NATO Senior leadership. In support of the NATO Chief Scientist, he/she will be responsible for:
Providing assistance in:
- The provision of S&T based advice to military and civilian leaders within NATO;
- Engaging with the Operations Research and Analysis community;
- Assessing the security impact of emerging technologies;
- Informing the Chief Scientist on the outcome of S&T foresight activities and methodologies, especially those pertaining to Security and Defence;
- Developing and producing documentation (reports, point papers, briefings, analysis, etc.) in support of NATO leadership (the Chief Scientist, the STO and the STB).
Participating actively in fostering knowledge exchange on S&T matters with the Nations and brokering NATO S&T results to NATO and the Nations, through:
- Design and leadership of workshops and technical meetings, as appropriate;
- Attendance at committees and meetings as appropriate and necessary;
- Engagement with the Strategic Commands on relevant activities;
- Development of links with Government, Academia and Industry.
Performing other related functions, as directed by the Chief Scientist.