Tasks and Responsibilities
The Mission, in line with the OSCE SMM Gender Equality Action Plan, is committed to improving the gender balance among staff in all areas and levels within the SMM. Currently female professionals are underrepresented within the SMM, including in the Operations Unit. Female candidates are therefore strongly encouraged to apply.
Initial duration of assignment for this post is for a period of 12 months, with a possibility of extension, subject to a subsequent OSCE Permanent Council Decision to extend the mandate of the Mission.
If applicable, deployment is subject to attendance to and successful completion of pre-deployment training and assessment.
Applicants are hereby notified that the Special Monitoring Mission to Ukraine (SMM) is designated by the OSCE as a nonfamily duty station. This designation is based on the fluid and dynamic working environment in the SMM. The currently prevailing working conditions in the duty station may include working in a hazardous location with extended hours of service, and possibly curtailed freedom of movement. Successful candidates who are appointed to locations deemed by the OSCE as hazardous will receive hazard pay. In addition, all successful candidates will be required to participate in the OSCE accident and life insurance scheme in accordance with the OSCE Staff Regulations and Staff Rules.
Under the direct supervision of the ICT Security Officer and the overall guidance of the Head, ICT the Database Administrator performs the following duties:
- Assessing the needs of the Unit and analyses internal business processes in order to design new databases and implement approved designs for data base;
- Designing, developing, testing and deploying database applications, software and other technology solutions; compiles business requirements, technical specifications, user and technical documentation and standards for information management systems implementation;
- Providing support in reporting and analyzing data, assuring data consistency and giving statistics information;
- Maintaining a variety of databases to ensure integrity, safety and access to data; introduces enhancements;
- Supporting the operation of the analysis of processed data and information and performs data quality and consistency control;
- Providing information management support to Needs Assessment processes, specifically in data collection, processing/collation and analysis;
- Developing and maintaining relevant documentation and standards related to database administration for the Unit;
- Working closely with relevant departments/units in the Special Monitoring Mission Headquarter (SMM HQ) and the Secretariat in Vienna to determine necessary support requirements;
- Traveling frequently within Ukraine including the Eastern Oblasts;
- Performing other duties as assigned.
For more detailed information on the structure and work of the OSCE Special Monitoring Mission to Ukraine, please see https://www.osce.org/special-monitoring-mission-to-ukraine.
General Minimum Requirements
The general minimum requirements for working with the OSCE are:
- Excellent physical condition
- Possession of a valid automobile driving license and ability to drive using manual transmission
- Ability to cope with physical hardship and willingness to work extra hours and in an environment with limited infrastructure
Field of Expertise Requirements
The general minimum requirements for working in this field of expertise are:
- First-level university degree in computer science or related field or proven 2 years professional experience in managing information systems and supporting users
- Demonstrated planning and organizational skills in a technology environment with the ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, demanding environment with multiple priorities
Level of Professional Competence Requirements
First-level university degree university degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Database Management, Software Development, Mathematics, Statistics or other related field(s) from an accredited academic institution
Experience: A minimum of six years of relevant professional experience.