With the aim to increase its surge capacity and provide enhanced support to its humanitarian programs, PIN operates a dedicated Rapid Deployment Unit (Radu). RaDU’s focus is mainly on setting up the humanitarian response in (new) sudden onset disasters and conflicts, as well as providing technical support for ongoing or new humanitarian programs and related consultancy work. The team consists of up to 5 members usually home or HQ based and with flexible 50% to 100% work assignments (Part-time agreements may be negotiated). Up to 2/3rd of the worktime is expected to be spent on PIN’s country programs abroad, with individual assignments up to 3 months. PIN is currently looking for a new colleague with solid expertize in infrastructure/construction.
Member of : Rapid Deployment Unit (RaDU)
Refers to: Head of emergency programs, Prague, Czech Republic
Location: home based with frequent field assignments
Distribution of work: up to 2/3rd of the worktime expected on assignment abroad (individual assignments up to 3 months each) + consultancy work from home as required + occasional stays at PIN head office (Prague)
Salary: as per PIN’s salary scale.
Ensure quality of PIN humanitarian programs and technical interventions
- Coordinate or participate in the conduct and analysis of needs, markets and technical assessments
- Coordinate or participate in the preparation of concepts notes, project proposals, assessments and baseline studies, lead or control technical designs including BoQs
- Conduct quality controls on relevant interventions/constructions. Evaluate the ongoing and completed interventions and share the results, highlighting good practices and lessons learned
- Provide technical advisory services to field teams remotely and in country. Communicate and coordinate tightly with technical teams in relevant country programmes, to ensure knowhow is maintained in country programmes
- Ensure that PIN responses are in line with existing international, national and other relevant guidelines, technical standards, and other relevant requirements.
- Supervise and control logistic and procurement processes on the relevant interventions
Strengthen PIN’s technical expertise and knowhow
- Follow global trends, identify effective approaches, track international technical best practice, guidelines, standards and other useful resources in relevant fields. Make sure relevant PIN staff are aware of them and use them
- Mentor and develop the technical skills of PIN’s relevant staff including conducting trainings, on-the-job training, and regular coaching support via skype calls.
- Develop tools and resources and promote existing standards to assist with intervention design, implementation and M&E (including standardising the tools and indicators being used to monitor capacity building interventions across the country programs, utilising PIN’s IndiKit and results-based M&E framework)
- Network with other actors working in relevant fields and pursue partnership opportunities
- Coordinate with PIN’s Technical Advisors, particularly Advisors focusing on Agriculture, Nutrition security, Education, Sustainable Water Services, and Market development.
Support the set-up of responses to sudden onset emergencies
- Initiate the emergency response in countries without PIN field offices particularly in case of large sudden onset disasters, conflicts and other situations requiring humanitarian assistance. In severe crises, deployment may be requested within 48h. Responsibilities might include field assessments, designing programmatic strategies and approaches, coordination & fundraising activities, setting up offices, recruiting national teams, setting up M&E systems and kick-starting program activities
- MSc or BSc degree in civil engineering, construction management, water engineering and/or other related fields, or solid and demonstrated practical experience in relevant fields
- At least 5 years of humanitarian experience, in multiple countries, in civil engineering, construction management, water engineering and/or other related fields
- Experience with and ability to use cutting-edge technologies such as Auto CAD, Civil 3D, Archi CAD, etc
- Knowledge of and experience with current humanitarian best practices, technical guidelines, and standards in the relevant fields
- Experience with relevant coordination and funding mechanism
- Familiarity with the PCM and field data collection
- ability and willingness to travel in arid and sometimes volatile contexts
- reliable & problem-solving personality
- excellent spoken and written English, other languages an advantage
- excellent written and oral communication skills
- flexibility and ability to respond quickly to requests for field deployment (in case of sudden onset disasters within 48 hours)
People in Need offers:
- Environment of well-established and growing organization
- Being part of a committed, professional and friendly team with an informal atmosphere
- Salary according to PIN salary scale
- 25 days of paid leave annually
- Working from home or being based in Prague or London offices (with frequent travels as described above)
- PIN covers all costs related to the country programme visits such as vaccination, flights, visas and accommodation