ABOUT THE POSITION
Center for Civilians in Conflict’s mission is to improve protection for civilians caught in conflicts around the world. We call on and advise international organizations, governments, militaries, and armed non-state actors to adopt and implement policies, tools, and training to prevent civilian harm. When civilians are harmed we advocate for the provision of amends and post-harm assistance. We bring the voices of civilians themselves to those making decisions affecting their lives.
JOB PURPOSE: Advise on trainings and engagement with Iraqi national and local police and on advocacy and strategy with Ministry of the Interior
LOCATION: Baghdad, Iraq
TRAVEL: As needed throughout Iraq
REPORTING TO: Country Director, Iraq
STAFF REPORTING: Possible consultants and interns as necessary
- Work with program team and engage with Ministry of Interior, Nineveh Police, Iraqi Federal Police and other police forces;
- Contribute to developing police specific civilian protection CIVIC training materials
- Conduct train-the-trainer on CIVIC training materials with commanders and at training centers;
- Advise on national policing rules on use of force and mechanisms for reporting and investigations;
- Liaise with ministries to get approval and coordinate training and advocacy;
- Identify new opportunities for advocacy and training;
- Represent CIVIC with NGO and international organizations and government stakeholders and promote effective collaborations and partnerships;
- Perform other duties as required to further the organization’s mission and goals in Iraq.
- Former mid or senior-level police officer;
- Experience in security force training and participatory facilitation preferred;
- Knowledge, experience, and understanding of civilian protection issues in armed conflict and understanding of the military/civilian/humanitarian spaces;
- Proven ability to think analytically and plan strategically, including setting objectives and identifying and capitalizing on opportunities for our work;
- Poise, flexibility, discretion, and mature judgment to handle and respond appropriately and professionally in a fast-paced, high-pressure atmosphere and as a team member;
- Well organized, self-motivated, and able to conceptualize and implement programs in stressful environments;
- Experience in representing organizations in sensitive political and security environments;
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- B.A. in international affairs, political science, or related area; MA preferred.
- Minimum 7-10 years relevant full-time staff level work experience;
- Passion for CIVIC’s subject matter and willingness to take on the responsibilities and duties as a key member of our team; and
- Fluency in English and Arabic mandatory.
Deadline: May 7, 2017
Resumes are reviewed on a rolling basis so please apply early.