The INGO Forum is a growing association with a current membership of over 100 humanitarian, development and peace-oriented international NGOs operating in Myanmar. Founded in late 2007, the INGO Forum functions as a platform for coordination, strategic discussions, development of common strategies, and provides an opportunity for collective analysis and mutual learning between INGOs.
The INGO Forum also aims at coordination with local NGOs and civil society groups, UN agencies, donors on operational humanitarian/development matters. INGO Forum is currently hosted by Oxfam. The INGO Forum is currently going through a period of transition in the way that it supports its members to engage effectively with humanitarian, development and peace coordination structures. This period provides an opportunity for the forum to make improvements to the way that INGOs work with, shape and influence development policy and practice in Myanmar, and to make further improvements in the way that we support our members and coordinate and engage with government and civil society actors.
Oxfam is a leading International NGO with a worldwide reputation for excellence and over 70 years of experience. It’s not unfortunate that people live in poverty. With enough wealth in this world to go around it’s unjustifiable. It’s not just their problem. It’s ours too. Our humanitarian, development and campaigning projects change lives around the world, and with the right support, we can beat poverty and injustice. Thousands of people already commit their time and talents to our campaigning, humanitarian and long-term development projects. Now we’re looking for yours.
A Programme Coordinator is required to ensure INGO Forum members are well represented in Government Development structures and Civil Society platforms and supported to carry out their role as representatives of the INGO community in Myanmar. Secondly, they will engage and coordinate various meetings ensuring appropriate governance processes are in place, arrange thematic seminars, provide briefing notes and establish ad hoc working groups on priority issues of the INGO Forum. They will also perform a facilitative role for members on operational and programmatic issues, and ensure fair and transparent information sharing. Thirdly they will support members to influence policy debates and determine advocacy priorities and communication products.
International, C2 Employment term: Fixed – Term (until 30 June 2019) Report to: INGO Forum Director What we offer: Respectful and empowered working environment, Life insurance, Medical+ dental + optical benefits, Competitive salary and Career advancement opportunities, Generous leave entitlement
• Liaise with Forum Members to shape, implement and revise the INGO Forum Development Advocacy Strategy priorities.
• Consult with Members and the Steering Committee to shape the INGO Forum’s priorities through surveys and ensuring follow up.
• Develop common positions and advocacy/communication products in collaboration with secretariat.
• Pro-actively attend, contribute to or convene strategic discussions and meetings on key development issues in Myanmar in line with Members’ objectives and the Forum Advocacy Priorities. Report back on discussions to the INGO Forum Director and the full membership when relevant.
• Pro-actively seek to ensure INGO forum members participation on Government Sector Coordination Groups and ensure that effective governance structures are in place to support INGO collaborative and common efforts
• Support INGO Forum Working Groups and provide guidance or technical support to resulting initiatives when requested.
• Coordinate with external stakeholders such as the UN, donors and national NGOs to align positions, and influencing policy and operational activities when feasible.
• Consult with external stakeholders and experts to inform advocacy messages and activities.
Membership advisory and information sharing services
• Ensure dissemination of information among Members through preparation and dissemination of bi-weekly newsletter, support updating the website and ad-hoc communication.
• Support the organization of INGO Forum meetings and ensure monthly meeting minutes of regular INGO Forum meetings and Steering Committee meetings, as well as other relevant meetings.
• Respond to requests or enquires from Members and relevant external stakeholders
• Support the organization of elections to select INGO representatives amongst the Members
• Support development of clear terms of reference to guide INGO representatives in their respective role
• Map out and assess level of participation of INGO in working groups
• Map out and assess INGO involvement and engagement in the wide variety of groups including with or alongside, for example, Government, donors, civil society etc.
• Support for developing operational plans for and on behalf of members on issues of relevance to the INGO Forum
• Attend meetings as a representative of the INGO Forum as agreed with the INGO Forum Director, and when requested present agreed INGO common positions or messaging.
• Liaise with diplomatic and donor missions, UN agencies, academic institutions and other experts both inside and outside Myanmar as agreed with the INGO Forum Director
• Coordinate with external stakeholders such as the UN, donors and national NGOs to align strategies and priorities and influencing activities as agreed with the INGO Forum Director
Organizational development and program management
• Carry out membership surveys on key priorities. Contribute to the analysis and provide feedback through relevant mechanisms
• Support and provide input into the review of the INGO Forum Strategy, ToR and other ways of working through consultative processes
• Carry out program management for donor grants, including input into donor proposals, writing narrative reports • Act as an INGO Forum Director in case of her/his absence.
• Oversee the Secretariat staff in the absence of Director or upon her/his request
• Perform other duties as requested by the INGO Forum Director
SKILLS AND COMPETENCE:
• A university degree related to development studies, humanitarian affairs, political science or other relevant social sciences
• At least three years of experience working to support planning, coordination and collaboration of diverse stakeholders with clear sets of deliverables
• Public policy analysis, advocacy and research experience
• Ability to manage internal and external communications, such as newsletters and websites
• Management of diverse partnerships
• Political acumen and sensitivity to effectively develop carefully toned briefing documents, key messages and advocacy statements to a wide audience
• Strong diplomatic and networking skills, ability to influence and liaise effectively with key stakeholders
• Organizational skills and understanding to address INGO priorities relating to development aid effectiveness, cooperation with Civil Society and Government and any other item that is of high importance to the INGO community
• Experience working in Myanmar or other Southeast Asian contexts
• Experience working in NGO/INGO coordination fora an asset
• Experience managing donor reporting and proposal writing
• Fluency in spoken and written English.
• Ability to work proactively and flexibly, with good problem solving skills.
Closing date: 18 April 2018, 5:00 PM