Interested in this position? Chat with UNESCO about this role at our upcoming online careers event on 27 June | UN Agencies Careers Fair – Latin American and The Caribbean focus
Domain : Social and Human Sciences
Post Number : SHS-121
Grade : P-4
Organizational Unit : SECTOR OF SOCIAL AND HUMAN SCIENCES
Primary Location : FR-Paris
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Type of contract : Fixed Term
Salary : 104 161 USD (Annual Salary)
Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 07 July 2019
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General for Social and Human Sciences Sector (ADG/SHS), guidance from the Director for Policies and Programmes and Director for Partnerships and Outreach and direct supervision of the Chief of Research, Policy and Foresight Section, the incumbent is responsible for ensuring the development and delivery of a wide spectrum of programme and project management initiatives from funding proposals to design to reporting. S/he advises, manages and reports on regular and extra-budgetary programme design, guidelines, resources and progress and advocates organizational involvement and participation in mainstream social and human sciences activities and initiatives.
The incumbent works within the frameworks of UNESCO’s Medium Term Strategy (C/4), the approved Programme and Budget (C/5) and global development plans such as the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development (https://en.unesco.org/about-us/introducing-unesco). The incumbent in particular will:
- On the basis of the recommendations of the World Humanities Conference held in Liège in August 2017 and the subsequent development of the humanities within the Management of Social Transformations programme, undertake activities mainstreaming the knowledge, pluralistic approaches and methodologies developed through the UNESCO’s General and Regional Histories with a view to contributing to a better understanding of current social transformations and fostering dialogue on global issues;
- On the basis of the work achieved through the General History of Africa, develop activities reinforcing African humanities and in particular current efforts to mobilize historiography and related disciplines to renew perspectives, approaches, concepts, paradigms and categorizations on Africa and its diasporas;
- Develop activities showcasing the relevance of historical perspectives developed through the General History of Africa for emerging areas of research, e.g. on African Liberation Movements and on African futures;
- Promote youth awareness on the importance of the humanities in order to foster enhanced understanding of contemporary social challenges, inter alia by developing outreach materials and facilitating exchanges among young scholars.
Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in the field of social sciences, humanities, or related areas.
- Minimum 7 years of progressive relevant professional experience in the area of social and human sciences at the national and international level.
- Proven experience in designing and implementing programmes and/or projects in at least one of the following domains: management of social transformations, social inclusion, intercultural dialogue, bioethics and ethics of science and technology, youth and sport.
Skills and competencies
- Good analytical, organizational and project management skills.
- Excellent coordination and interpersonal skills.
- Proven ability to provide high-level advice and technical support in public policy, planning and research.
- Capacity to build and maintain effective working relations with national/local authorities, relevant institutions, intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations.
- Proven ability to communicate and negotiate effectively and persuasively (orally and in writing) with various stakeholders at all levels, within and outside the organization.
- Excellent knowledge of fund-raising and other resource mobilization mechanisms.
- Ability to manage and motivate staff and teams and to maintain effective working relationships in a multicultural environment.
- Solid IT skills including knowledge of office software.
Excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of English or French and good knowledge of the other.
PhD or equivalent in social sciences or humanities.
- Experience in international cooperation programmes.
- Experience in establishing and maintaining professional networks.
- Research and analysis in the fields relevant to the post as demonstrated through authored peer-reviewed publications.
Skills and competencies
Familiarity with the work and general functioning of international organizations and/or the United Nations System.
Knowledge of another official language of UNESCO (Arabic, Chinese, Russian and/or Spanish).