Grade: For Mid (P3) and Senior (P4) Level Positions Deadline for Applications: Open Call for Applications
The Project Control Officer provides support to the operation by ensuring sound financial management in tandem with operational performance, and providing oversight of projects funded by UNHCR in complementary with programme management. The main tasks of the incumbent include the formulation of a project monitoring plan, conducting monitoring, quality assurance, review of project agreements, and verification of reports, tracking project risks, effective project closure and managing audit. Project Control Officer closely collaborates with UNHCR colleagues and diverse partners and plays a very important role in maintaining harmonious and effective partnerships. As a result, incumbent needs to be very mindful of all dimensions of teamwork and partnerships in their interaction with other persons (and uphold the Principles of Partnership, the Code of Conduct and other relevant documents).
- Contribute to the development of the Country Operations Plans and strategy with respect to project control within the country /region.
- Ensure that project control strategies in the country/region are in line with Global Strategic Priorities, as well as with annual programming and planning instructions.
- Support the selection and retention processes of partners for undertaking UNHCR-funded projects in accordance with UNHCR’s rules, policies and procedures.
- Review that project agreements are in conformity with Country Operation Plansand UNHCR’s rules, policies and procedures.
- Formulate and implement a project monitoring plan in collaboration with theprogramme unit and Multi-functional teams.
- Track the management of project risks in collaboration with the programme unit,and report major risks to senior management.
- Review, analyse and verify Project Financial and Performance reports submittedby Partner, and check accuracy and consistency between financial expenditures, and performance, in accordance with project agreements.
- Monitor, track and verify that expenditure for direct implementation by UNHCR isin line with the approved budget.
- Conduct reviews of the internal control systems maintained by partners for effectiveresource management and provide advice as required.
- Provide feedback and recommendations of identified variants, risks and issues tothe partner, programme unit and escalate to management as required.
- Prepare project control reports with the current status of programmeimplementation and financial status.
- Inform management of cases where UNHCR may not adhere to its obligationsunder project agreements.
- Manage project audit process including liaison with auditors, coordination with partners, obtaining audit reports, reviewing outcomes and following-up with recommendations.
- Carry out timely project closure in coordination with the programme unit.
- Participate in country-level programme training for i partners and UNHCR staff as necessary, as well as brief staff and implementing partners on project control andrisk management.
- Provide input to the mid- and end-year programme review process on issuesrelated to project control and risk management.
- Maintain professional relationships with implementing partners.
- Undertake missions within the geographical area of responsibility, as approved bythe supervisor.
- Keep up-to-date with all UNHCR rules, regulations and procedures necessary toperform these duties.
Minimum qualifications and professional experience required: For positions at the P3 level
- (Advanced)UniversityDegreeinAccounting,Finance,BusinessAdministrationinFinance, Project Management, External Audit, Risk Management OR university degree in similar field combined with a professional qualification in accounting or finance (CPA/CA, DESG or equivalent), project management accreditation.
- Good understanding of the workflows of major Enterprise Resource Planning financial modules (such as PeopleSoft, SAP or Oracle).
- Good analytical and communication skill
- Minimum of 6 years of relevant (international) job experience with a Master’s Degree or years with a Bachelor’s Degree and at least 2 years in an intergovernmental organization
- Excellent knowledge of English (C1 minimum) and working knowledge of another UN language (at B2 Level).
For positions at the P4 level
- (Advanced)UniversityDegreeinAccounting,Finance,BusinessAdministrationinFinance, External Audit or related field OR university degree in another field combined with a professional qualification in accounting or accreditation in finance (CPA/CA or equivalent), project management, fraud risk examiner.
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant (international) job experience with a Master’s Degree or 12 years with a Bachelor’s Degree
- Excellent knowledge of English (Minimum C1) and working knowledge of another UN language (at B2 level minimum).