Reports Directly to: Regional Director Human Resources
This position is responsible for transparent implementation of HR Strategies, effective delivery of HR services and management. Interprets and applies HR policies, rules and regulations; facilitates internal procedures and process solutions to a wide spectrum of complex HR issues. The HR Manager promotes a collaborative, client-oriented approach and contributes to the maintenance of high staff morale. He/she supports formulation of solid HR strategies and implements project human resources initiatives to attract, develop, motivate and retain the most suitable talent throughout the RTI projects on projects in West Africa and any other designated countries.
Main purpose of job (List primary duties that occupy a majority of incumbent time in order of importance.)
- Provide operational HR support to project HR teams and project leadership while supporting the HR planning process for effective HR programing in the region
- Lead HR programs for designated projects in areas of; Learning and Development, HR Change Management, Performance Management, Compensation and Benefits, Talent Management and any other HR initiatives for the Africa Region.
- Review and approve Employment Administration requests in Service Now, CONNECT and any other HRIS for designated country’s/projects/assignments. Backs up the Regional HR Team as needed.
- Coordinate project recruitment and serve as the Start Up specialist for new projects in the region; assist with the development of Job Descriptions, posting, responding to applicants, short listing, interviewing and complete the full cycle of recruitment and selection. Setting up robust HR programs for all new projects.
- Work in concert with the Regional Director of Human Resource on all aspects of HR Management in the region; including mobilizing HR capacity support to projects and also setting HR strategic priorities in the region.
- Support the Regional HR Director in coordinating regional activities such as due diligence, performance management, comp and benefit reviews, HRIS projects, HR assessments, capacity building, training, etc.
- Serves as advisor to the Project HRMs and Project Directors on HR technical, organizational and management level issues for projects in assigned countries in the region
- Review, disseminate and ensure full compliance of HR policy guidelines and country employee handbooks, benefit summaries, salary scales etc. and ensures they are in tandem with local labor laws, USAID rules and regulations, RTI policies, values, ethics, procedures and strategies; effective implementation of the internal control framework and proper functioning of the HR policy framework.
- Provide matrix supervision and direct support to project HR staff in designated countries in the management and administration of HR activities including their recruitment, orientation & onboarding and performance management.
- Drive innovation and a focus on continuous improvement for HR programs in the region as a valued member of the Africa HR team and RTI HR organization
- HR Management and Administration – Provides oversight and direct support to project and local HR staff in the management and administration of HR activities including recruitment, orientation, compensation, benefits and performance management in Senegal and designated countries – Supports leadership, management and staff in HR and operational matters.
- HR Policy and Procedures and Systems – Provides oversight and direct support to projects in establishing HR policies, procedures and SOPs and ensures appropriateness and compliance with RTI policy and procedures and local law and practices. – Develops local HR systems to include personnel files. Support and implement approved actions, communications and administration as required. – Provide routine and ad hoc reporting to Africa Regional Office HR on HR activities and issues
- Performance Management – Provides support to projects and HR staff in the management of performance for staff to include managing communications, timeline, training, reporting requirements, and compliance with RTI policy. – Support managers and staff in assigned countries and coordinate and provide training during process as needed. – Ensure Check Ins/ Performance meetings are completed and administered fairly and maintained on file.
- In liaison with the Project Directors, local country insurance brokers and RTI Africa Regional Office track Private Medical Insurance (PMI) and any other benefit programs quality of service, service level agreements, expiry dates and follow up on renewals for projects in Francophone countries.
- Assists in fostering of project staff learning initiatives; Talent identification and growth, facilitating learning initiatives, recommending and enrolling project teams into short-term courses that are beneficial to projects in accordance RTI university courses and individual learning plans.
- Works in concert with the Regional Director of Human Resource on all aspects of HR Management including setting strategic priorities in the region.
- Completes special projects and performs other duties as required.
Minimum Required Education & Experience
Job Requirements are a combination of qualifications and related experience. Judgment of an acceptable equivalent combination, on an individual basis, is the responsibility of Management.
Minimum Required Education & Experience.
Bachelor’s degree and 12 years’ related experience; MA degree and 9 years related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Skills & Abilities
Below are skills and abilities required to perform the essential duties of this job. An addendum that clarifies additional skills and abilities for incumbents in this job may be used in addition to this description.
- Working knowledge of and experience in international and local national HR.
- Working knowledge of and experience in local labor and employment laws and legal resources.
- Familiarity with international development systems and policies.
- Ability to prioritize issues and make recommendations to policies.
- High degree of professionalism and discretion; culturally astute.
- Ability to work independently as well as perform in matrix organization.
- Strong ability for partnership and collaboration.
- Strong writing and presentation skills with ability to communicate well within and across diverse groups and perspectives.
- Strong attention to detail, accuracy and organizational skills with ability to be flexible and work well under pressure in a multi-tasking environment.
- Excellent knowledge of MS Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel and HR systems.
- Second language (French and English) required.
Physical and mental demands of this role include those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job, as outlined above. Examples include: remaining in a stationary position for long periods of time; operating a computer and other office machinery; thinking, learning, and concentrating effectively and frequently communicating with other people, both within RTI and outside of RTI; frequently moving about inside and travel between offices and laboratories; frequently conducting laboratory site inspections , ability to handle the stress associated in meeting frequent, multiple and tight deadlines, ability to work in excess of 40 hours per week as workload and deadlines may require, consistent demonstration of mental stability and ability to have regular, reliable and predictable attendance.