If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Position
The Senior Social Policy Specialist supports and advises the Representative and Country Management Team in developing strategies and policy agenda for the designated areas of responsibilities. Responsible for providing technical leadership, advice, and capacity building to programmes. Facilitates application, adaptation and achievement of UNICEF global and regional goals, polices, and strategies in the area of social policy agenda of UNICEF India. Provides the representative with innovative guidance including expert advice, vision, knowledge, articulating policies and strategies, situation appraisal, harmonization of programme strategy, capacity building, networking and creation of strategic partnership with international and national experts.
Key Expected Results
1. Programme policy agenda, strategies, and approaches for the country programme are developed. Representative, Deputy Representative, Programmes and the Country Management Team are advised on strategy, approach and policy agenda for effective advocacy and policy influencing. Effective communication, partnerships and networking are guided to enhance harmonized programme interventions in social policy areas among programmes and to expand networks with international and national experts.
2. Up-to-date technical expertise is maintained, expanded, and disseminated in the country office and shared with national institutions/partners through respective programmes.
3. UNICEF’s effective representation and advocacy by the Representative on programme goals and strategies with high level and senior government officials, multi-lateral agencies, bi-lateral agencies, NGOs, other UN agencies, and donors are supported with a high quality and strong technical advices.
Key Accountabilities and Duties & Tasks
Within the delegated authority and under the given organizational set-up, the incumbent may be assigned the primarily, shared, or contributory accountabilities for all or part of the following areas of major duties and key end-results.
1. Advisory Capacity and Policy Development
Exercise advisory role and provide guidance in policy and strategy development. Advise and support the Representative, the Deputy Representative (Programme), and programme managers in the area of social policy and advocacy. Develop recommendations and position papers for use by the Representative in the development of UNICEF country social policy agenda and strategy. In collaboration with Policy Planning and Evaluation:
· Advice the Representative by contributing to the formulation, refinement, adaptation, articulation and communication of UNICEF India’s social policy strategies, priorities and approaches.
· Provide to the Representative and Deputy Representative the analyses of social policy development trends and related political developments, with a particular analysis of their effect on children.
Facilitate harmonization of strategies and approaches in the achievement of programme goals in close collaboration with the Deputy Representative and Chief of Policy Planning and Evaluation.
2. Knowledge Management
Monitor developments in technical area, as well as political and social developments, at the national and sub-national levels. Contribute to the Social Policy knowledge generation by trend analysis in Social Policy area, capturing determinants of the trends and their implications for country programming. Identify and synthesize good practices for Social Policy internationally and ongoing programmes in close coordination with the Policy Planning and Evaluation section who lead and coordinate UNICEF India’s Knowledge Management strategy. Document investment cases for leveraging resources for Social Policy.
3. Technical Leadership
Provide advice by combining cutting-edge technology and programme innovation with operational and political perspectives that empower and position UNICEF programmes in Social Policy for the scaling up of UNICEF’s Social Policy strategy implementation, through a results based approach. Provide specific technical support to assure high quality in all aspects of activities of all programme in the area of social policy. Advise the programmes to strengthen capacity for planning and budgeting Social Policy strategy.
4. Advocacy and leveraging
Support the Representative in articulating advocacy issues on programme goals and strategies with high level and senior government officials, multi-lateral agencies, bi-lateral agencies, NGOs, other UN agencies, and donors with a high quality and strong technical advices. Develop the advocacy strategy for and monitoring of the Sustainable Development Goals by supporting analysis of adequate information and indicators and research programmes.
5. Networking and Partnerships
Identify strategic alliances, and influence policy development to support implementation of social policy agenda with Policy Planning and Evaluation programme and other programmes to enhance UNICEF’s technical leadership role in the development of harmonized programme interventions.
Support the Representative, Deputy Representative Programme and ICO Programme sections in in forging and strengthening strategic alliances for social policy with various international and regional partners andpolicy think tanks .
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
– Advanced university degree in Social Sciences, International Relations, Political Science, International Finance, public relations, media, communication, or other relevant disciplines.
– Twelve years progressively responsible relevant work experience in all aspects of programme management, and/or advisory support, in the technical area or programme sector resulting in recognized expertise in the technical area.
– Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of a second UN language (i.e. Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish) and/or the local language of the duty station is considered an asset.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
• Diversity and Inclusion
Core Competencies (Required)
• Communication – Level III
• Working with People – Level III
• Drive for Results – Level III
Functional Competencies (Required)
• Leading and Supervising – Level II
• Formulating Strategies and Concepts – Level III
• Analyzing – Level III
• Relating and Networking – Level III
• Deciding and Initiating Action – Level III
• Persuading and Influencing – Level II
a) Specific Technical Knowledge Required
• Executive Board and other policy Documents, ExDirs and PROS related to the areas of expertise.
• CRC, CEDAW and other human rights instruments/standards
• Broad knowledge of UNICEF programme policy, procedures and guidelines.
• CCA/UNDAF Guidelines directives from UNDGO/IUNDG.
• Thorough knowledge of MDG; Mid-Term Strategic Plan.
• Regional Office prgroamme documents and work plan
• National Development Plans, Policies and relevant legislation
• Knowledge of latest research and technical innovations in the areas of programme.
b) Common Technical Knowledge Required
• Knowledge of programme management, methodology and practical application. Knowledge of current theories and practices in research and programme strategy.
• Knowledge, skills and leadership for managing teams, budgets and project execution.
• Knowledge of computer systems, including internet navigation, office applications, network and communications.
• Knowledge of United Nations, NGOs, or other international organizations.
• Good understanding of world affairs, current events and international development issues. Knowledge of global human rights and humanitarian affairs issues, specifically relating to children and women, and current UNCEF position and approaches.
• UNICEF programme visions, goals, strategies, positions, policies and guidelines. Thorough knowledge of UNICEF programme manual and UNICEF publications.
• Rights-based and results-based management and programming approach in UNICEF.
• UNICEF policies and strategy to address global, regional and national priority issues.
• Emergencies and emergency preparedness.
• UNICEF administrative and financial policy and guidelines.
c) Technical Knowledge to be Acquired/Enhanced
• Government development plans and policies
• Knowledge of local conditions and country legislation relevant to UNICEF programmes
• UN policies and strategy to address international humanitarian issues and the responses.
• UN common approaches to programmatic issues and UNICEF positions
• UN security operations/guidelines and international guidelines on aid effectiveness.
• UNSECORD training for members of Security Management Team.
**This is an extension of the application deadline in order to expand the candidate pool. Previous applicants need not reapply as their original application will be duly considered.