Staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and to assignment by him or her. In this context, all staff are expected to move periodically to new functions in their careers in accordance with established rules and procedures.
UNECA is committed to promoting geographical distribution and gender equality within its Secretariat. Therefore, women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Public Information and Knowledge Management Division (PIKMD), Publications Section (PS) at the Economic Commission for Africa (ECA), Addis Ababa. The incumbent works under the overall guidance of the Chief of PS, and the direct supervision of the Head of French Translation and Editing Unit (FTEU).
Within delegated authority, the French translator will be responsible for the following duties:
• Translates, subject to revision, documents covering a broad range of subjects dealt with by ECA, i.e. social, economic, financial, administrative, scientific and technical;
• Services meetings of the Commission and those of the sub-regional offices as part of a team and translates their report subject to revision;
• Identifies new terminology material and submit it for the consideration of the revisers;
• Performs other related duties as required
• Professionalism: Good writing skills, high standards of accuracy, consistency and faithfulness to the spirit, style and nuances of the original text; good grasp of the subject matter; ability to use all sources of references, consultation and information relevant to the text at hand; ability to maintain an adequate speed and volume of output, taking into account the difficulty of the text and the specified deadlines; ability to use all sources of references, consultation and information relevant to text at hand.
• Planning & Organizing: Ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor own work. Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
• Teamwork: Good coordination with others working on same document in order to ensure consistency of terminology and style; demonstrated ability to gain the support and cooperation of others and maintain effective working relations in a team endeavour, with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
Education Degree from a university or from an institution of equivalent status required. Must have passed the United Nations competitive examination for French translators.
Work Experience A minimum of two years of translation experience preferably within the United Nations is required. Knowledge of a broad range of subjects dealt with by the Economic Commission for Africa (social, economic, financial, administrative, scientific and technical) with a recognized specialization in a particular substantive, technical or administrative area is highly desirable.
Languages A perfect command of French, which must be the candidate’s main language, and excellent knowledge of English as tested by the relevant United Nations competitive examination for French Translators are required.
Assessment Short-listed candidates will be subject to a competency-based interview and other assessment, if required. United Nations Considerations According to article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter of the United Nations, the paramount consideration in the employment of the staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity, including but not limited to, respect for international human rights and humanitarian law. Candidates may be subject to screening against these standards, including but not limited to, whether they have committed or are alleged to have committed criminal offences or violations of international human rights law and international humanitarian law.
Due regard will be paid to the importance of recruiting the staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible. The United Nations places no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the At-a-Glance on “The Application Process” and the Instructional Manual for the Applicants, which can be accessed by clicking on “Manuals” hyper-link on the upper right side of the inspira account-holder homepage.
The screening and evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable internal legislations of the United Nations including the Charter of the United Nations, resolutions of the General Assembly, the Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications, including but not limited to, their education, work experience, and language skills, according to the instructions provided on inspira. Applicants will be disqualified from consideration if they do not demonstrate in their application that they meet the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable internal legislations of the United Nations. Applicants are solely responsible for providing complete and accurate information at the time of application: no amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to a reference-checking process to verify the information provided in the application.
In your application please specify that you found out about this opportunity on GCFjobs.com Veuillez indiquer dans votre candidature que vous avez consulté cette offre sur le site web GCFjobs.com