Application closing date: 21 March 2018
The Bank is looking for a senior specialist or transport specialist who will lead or collaborate in the identification, preparation, execution and administration of complex transportation programs, assisting the Transport Division (INE / TSP) to borrowers, beneficiaries and units. Executing agencies in areas related to the preparation, execution, monitoring and evaluation of operations in the region. It will also lead or collaborate in the preparation of generic sector policy documents and by country, as well as other processes related to the Bank’s performance in the sector.
The team: The IDB Transportation Division (INE / TSP) pursues the objective of promoting economic development and the quality of life of its inhabitants through transport and infrastructure activities in an efficient, affordable, sustainable and safe manner.
What you will do:
The main functions of the position are:
- Provide technical support and advise the Bank’s clients in sectoral matters, project management, knowledge management and coordination with other non-sectorial technical areas, seeking to add value to the Bank’s projects.
- Supervise and proactively manage the Bank’s operations in the country, including investment projects and technical cooperation. In addition to adequate project management, supervisory and administrative activities should seek complementary technical support from the public entities involved in order to improve the particular management of these projects and institutional capacities at a broad level.
- Evaluate institutional capacity and analyze sectoral policies related to the conceptual and operational design of projects. Analyze and recommend in terms of the institutional strengthening necessary for the management of the executing agencies with whom the transport division works, with emphasis on the efficient execution of the projects.
- Design operations for all modes of transport, with emphasis on the impacts of the project on economic and social development, the borrower’s institutional capacity to execute the project and design of indicator systems (benchmarking) that allow the evaluation and monitoring of the operation .
- Lead or participate in the identification, analysis, negotiation and administration of projects. Identify government demands in the sector to provide a timely response in technical or financial support and participate in the programming and evaluation processes of loans and technical cooperation
- Conduct or support sectoral dialogue with governmental, national and subnational authorities, as well as representatives of the private sector, with the purpose of developing programs and policies of the transport sector in the context of each country.
- Develop a deep knowledge of the composition and evolution of the financing of the sector in the country of assignment, establishing ties of close contact with counterparts belonging to other national, regional and multilateral financing entities that act in this sector.
- Deepen knowledge and promote the technical actions of the Division in logistics, road safety and sustainable transport, among others. Promote the Bank’s participation. Engage in support for the management of the Transportation Division, promoting and improving the dynamics of interaction between the Bank’s offices in the region and headquarters.
- Academic Credentials / Experience: Degree in Engineering or Economics with a Master’s degree, preferably related, with specialization in one or more of the following infrastructure areas: Urban Transport, Logistics, Road Safety, Intelligent Transportation Systems and Major Projects. Seven (7) or more years of professional experience (preferably international) in the planning, design and evaluation of transportation projects. Extensive knowledge of the operation of the public sector in countries of the region and vast understanding of the reality of the sector.
- Languages: Minimum two official languages of the Bank, complete knowledge of Spanish, good knowledge of written and spoken English.
Job opportunity summary:
- Type of contract: fixed term.
- Location: El Salvador. Local.
- Requirements: Interested candidates must have Salvadoran nationality, or be citizens of a member country of the Bank with valid work permits to work in El Salvador and not have family members working in the Bank.
Our culture: working with us, you will be surrounded by a diverse group of people who have years of experience in all types of development fields, including transportation, health, gender and diversity, communications and more.
The IDB is committed to gender equality and encourages the nomination of women. We promote diversity in terms of nationality, ethnicity, race and education. The postulation of people with disabilities is encouraged, as well as those with AIDS / HIV.