PROGRAMME MANAGEMENT OFFICER, P3
This position is located in the Policy, Knowledge Management and Coordination Division of the Office of Counter-Terrorism at Headquarters in New York. Under the overall supervision of the Director, the Programme Management Officer reports to the Team Leader of the Regional Conferences Unit. The focus of this jobs is on ensuring an “All-of-UN” approach in the policy support to Member States on the prevention of violent extremism when conducive to terrorism.
- Participates in the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects, etc.; monitors and analyzes programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and proposes corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and tracks follow-up actions.
- Provides support for the organization of regional conferences of Member States concerning counter-terrorism, the prevention of violent extremism when conducive to terrorism, and other related topics.
- Performs consulting assignments, in collaboration with the client, by planning facilitating workshops, through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing the action plan the client will use to manage the change.
- Researches, analyzes and presents information gathered from diverse sources.
- Assists in policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies. •Undertakes survey initiatives; designs data collection tools; reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares conclusions.
- Prepares various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc. Provides substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.
- Undertakes outreach activities; conducts training workshops, seminars, etc.; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
- Participates in or lead field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries, etc. Coordinates activities related to budget and funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.).
- Performs other duties as required.
Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to particular sector, functional area or other specialized field. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to conduct data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning & Organizing:
Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) business administration, management, economics or a related field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management, administration or related area is required. Experience working on counter-terrorism and prevention of violent extremism issues is required. Experience with inter-agency coordination is desirable. Experience organizing high level events is desirable.
For the position advertised, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
The United Nations Secretariat is committed to achieving 50/50 gender balance in its staff. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Closing date for applications: 13 October 2019
For full job description and to apply, please click the ‘Apply’ button.
In your application please specify that you found out about this opportunity on GCFjobs.com Veuillez indiquer dans votre candidature que vous avez consulté cette offre sur le site web GCFjobs.com