Within delegated authority, the Statistician will be responsible for the following duties:
- Organizes and carries out analysis of methods of data processing for incorporation into statistical production.
- Supports and manages activities of international teams of specialists in the area of modernization of statistical production.
- Participates in the development, implementation and management of statistical standards, models and frameworks.
- Provides training and technical support on statistical modernization, programmes and country practices.
- Participates in the development or revision of standards on statistical concepts, definitions and classifications by performing methodological research.
- Prepares draft technical documents for international, intergovernmental and expert group meetings and assists in drafting relevant reports.
- Organizes and participates in seminars, working groups and expert meetings as a technical resource person.
- Guides trains and supervises general service staff.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Professionalism: Knowledge of national and international statistical principles and practices. Knowledge of the main standards and models used to support statistical modernization in official statistics; Knowledge of principles and tools used in the statistical production architecture and statistical information modelling; Ability to conduct independent research and analysis. Ability to identify issues, formulate options and make conclusions and recommendations. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in statistics, mathematics, economics, sociology or related field. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in the collection, compilation, analysis and dissemination of statistical data or related area. Experience in modernization and the use of standards and models in statistical production is desirable. Experience in a national or international statistical organisation is desirable. Experience in organizing international expert meetings, workshops and seminars is also desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position fluency in English is required. Knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of a second official United Nations language is an advantage.
Deadline for applications is 16 October 2019.
For full job description and to apply, please click the ‘Apply’ button.
In your application please specify that you found out about this opportunity on GCFjobs.com Veuillez indiquer dans votre candidature que vous avez consulté cette offre sur le site web GCFjobs.com